what are these and how do I get rid of them?

I have what I think are egg casings growing on a wooden retaining wall. They seem to be killing the mint growing neatby. here is a photo:
http://www.webmztriss.com/eggs.jpg
Does anyone recognize them? thanks!
I can't recognize them from that photo. (Not sure I could with a better photo either.) What evidence do you have that the white things on the wall have anything to do with the decline of your mint?
Steve
rachael traub wrote:

They look like aphids.

they are growing on the mint too. leaves in the area of the eggs are dying back.

OK, that's pretty good evidence. They aren't mealy bugs, are they? They don't look like it from the photo. Mealy bugs would move around. The ones on the wall would have to move to go find a plant to feed on. From your pictures they look attached to the wall and they look oval in shape. Right? If you squash one, is there liquid inside like a living thing? Can we rule out it being some sort of fungus growth? Your original idea of egg cases may be right. I'm just trying to rule out other things because if they ARE egg cases, I still don't have any idea what they are. Also, egg cases shouldn't harm a plant (though the insect that left the egg cases might have).
Steve
rachael traub wrote:

they do not seem to have legs. they are indeed raised ovals and attached to the wall. when you squash one there is a reddish brown interior, more powdery, than liquid.

That sounds more like a fungus...
Does that wood stay wet?
K.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (rachael traub) wrote:

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

It sounds like a fungus to me too. I don't believe there is a fungus that would grow on a wood wall AND grow on mint or any other plant. I wonder if the similar looking things on the mint are not really the same as on the wood? Maybe the damp conditions next to the wall are causing fungus problems with the mint. Poor air circulation (likely conditions next to a wall) can lead to powdery mildew, downy mildew, or other fungus problems.
Steve
Katra wrote:

thanks for the input! the wood does stay wet. shall I try a basic fungicide?

I'd check with the local nursery and see what they say. :-) If you get any fungicide on the mint, you will need to wait a full 2 months before using any of it for consumption.
K.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (rachael traub) wrote:

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Not for the wood, maybe for the mint. There are fungicides which can be used on edible garden plants. In the long run, it would probably be better to just move the mint to a more open location. Try something else next to the wall.
Steve