whacky

we were walking the other day and the weather had been warm and we'd had a decent rain the night before to melt off all the snow and to thaw the ice that had been in the ditches.

frogs were out peeping. frogs. frogs in January. i love froggies, so it was a great treat, but it was just not right.

the past few nights have returned to more seasonal weather (18-15F) and some snow so the froggies are back in hiding. i hope they'll be ok.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

We had a storm two nights ago after a dry spell. It was froggy wooing night. They sure are noisy about it. I love it. The frogs that is.

The males that take possession of the drain pipes are in heaven, it's cool, damp and safe and the sound amplification means they get all the girls!

David Hare-Scott

We have Robbins in the yard. It's two months early.

Reply to
Rick

Prbrthbthh, glad I left all that behind. Then again say, Michigan, might be the next Florida. Less than 2 years ago I lived in a frigid part of the US midwest, and I heard peepers at least once during the winters. Now, here on the east coast just 2 days ago, I suddenly had robins by the gazillions. They're all gone, now.. I'm creeped out by all this global climate change,

Reply to
Nelly W

You aren't alone.

Reply to
Billy

i'm betting on continued whacky. which means making some changes to the planting plans.

i'll be growing less of the larger beans that take most of the season to finish and increase the planting of the smaller types that finish sooner or those that vine and produce when conditions are favorable.

last season the pinto, red and black beans did well no matter where they were planted. the edamame also did well in most spots.

also will try some of the smaller types of tomatoes.

oh, and get the onions planted earlier than last year.

for landscaping projects i'll keep working on the south side to deal with flash floods. i can get most of it done in a week or two once the ground thaws and it is dry enough. i'm expecting it will be hot, dry and the once in a while torrential rain.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

...froggies...

they get loud enough that i keep the doors and windows closed and i can still hear them.

i'm glad to hear you got some rain.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Two weeks ago the record for continent-wide maximum temperature was broken on two successive days. Last week Sydney had its all time hottest day at

46C (115F), this is a maritime climate not out in the desert. D
Reply to
David Hare-Scott

And sadly, I'll bet taht stinking ortten recent heat has had a real impact on our frog population here :-(((

I love the sound of frogs and after the last really bad dry spell we lost all our pobblebonk frogs. We just had the cree cree frogs left up until recently. I haven't heard any cree crees for a while now.

Reply to
Farm1