Welder's Gloves

And a pair of pruning shears . And even then I expect to get a buncha thorn wounds from the blackberry brambles I'm about to clean up . These are wild berries , been growing on our land for time out of mind as far as I know . But I don't have a thick hide like the bears that like to eat 'em , so I'm planning on thinning them out a bit , cutting lanes so I can harvest them , and cutting out all the dead canes from years past . If we get enough rain to support all the blossoms

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Funny you should mention leather ... I have 3 leather motorcycle coats , and one brown/tan suede shirt-style coat that dates from the 60's . Fortunately I didn't need one . The gloves are the HF 3-pack that sells for around 12 bucks , and they worked well . I got about half of the patch cleaned out yesterday afternoon , will get the rest later this week . This is going to make it so much easier to harvest those berries ! On another berry important subject , I found what I think are wild strawberries while cleaning up some of the canes I pruned . Cleared the fround around them a bit and marked the location , if these are in fact strwaberries I'll clean up more and encourage them . IMO fresh berries with a little sugar and milk or cream is the next best thing to sex .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Terry Coombs wrote: ...

they're very nice plants to let wander around a marginal sandy slope or other limited area, but they can become invasive, harbor diseases not well tolerated by their more settled kin and the berries are smaller (but compared to some of those kin in terms of flavor they are much better).

if the soil is fertile and gets more moisture then it's pretty likely they'll get over grown by weeds if you don't keep the weeds trimmed somehow. a string trimmer or hedge trimmer used high, or even the mower set high might be ok.

we have some wandering around here and i love picking them when they are ripe. they bloom a little before the earliest of my other strawberry plants -- they are also ripe a little sooner. i keep them away from the other strawberry patches. i wouldn't mind a more disease tolerant plant in my other regular strawberry patches, but i'm also quite happy with the flavor and size of the berries i already have. no need to confuse matters further when thinning or weeding.

good luck with the blackberries and strawberries.

songbird

Reply to
songbird