weird home-grown avocado fruits

Hi, everyone.

I was talking to my mom today on the phone, and she told me the avocado plant she grew from a seed over 10 years ago now has fruits on it the size of small plums. Apparently they don't look like avocados at all. She has cut two of them open -- they each had two large seeds and tasted like citrus fruits (sort of orange/lemony). Can this plant ever produce "normal" avocados, or is that impossible now that the plant is grown? Should she have grafted the young avocado seedling onto different rootstock in order to grow a Hass avocado (which is what the original seed was from)?

Thanks for any assistance you can offer.

Terri A.

Reply to
tandrews

Hi, Got pictures of this 'avocado'? What color is it?

-_- how to reply- no NEWS is good

Reply to
how

g'day tandrews,

if you want good quality fruiting avocados you realy need to be buying grafted trees, if you mum would have done this she would have been enjoying good fruit a long time ago.

avocado's rarely fruit to type from seed, and from seed you may not get fruit at all and if the fruit your mum has is from an avocado then the other rings true that if they do fruit it may be very poor quality and definatly not representative of the fruit the seed came from.

len

snipped

Reply to
len gardener