Watering Vegetables In Containers

It is finally springtime here in the southern hemisphere, and my first year of gardening.

I live in a fairly humid environment, but with strong sunshine.

So I am wondering what would be a good watering schedule for vegetables in containers (kept outdoors.)

In 10-litre (2.5 gal) buckets, I have broccoli, spinach, lettuce, zuccini, and capsicum (bell pepper.)

I may also add couliflour, and a few others in similar-sized containers.

There are also some tomato plants, which will go into 20-litre (5 gal) buckets this weekend.

So I am looking for advice on watering schedules???

Thanks in advance...

Reply to
Down Under On The Bucket Farm

I've gardened largely in containers this year, also. You should be watchful and generous with your watering, especially on sunny days. I think you should give each container at least 2 liters of water, every other day, and 4 liters every other day for the larger containers.

-- dkra

Reply to
dkra

I think you'll need to water these plants, in this size containers, in an environment with strong sunshine, AT LEAST daily, possibly more.

5-gallon buckets are fairly small for full-size tomato plants (if your plants are full-size). Last time I tried this, we wound up watering the tomato plant four times a day, and finally transplanted it into a 22-gallon plastic storage tub.

Just water whenever the soil is dry to a depth of a couple of inches.

Pat

Reply to
spamtrap

When mature, I heavily watered my container grown tomatoes and peppers daily adding enough water so it was visible in the pot base. In the summer, it is very humid here too. Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo

you'll like this...

can even listen to his show online

but i really don't thing the plants will survive/ or thrive without direct sun from outdoors!!!!

Reply to
jfrost