Watering can is good for...?

What situations would a watering can be good for? What do you guys use them for? I bought a beautiful 1.75 gallon metal watering can and it works wonderfully. But a stupid jerk I know keeps harping on it and saying I wasted my money and I don't need it. But I don't care if I don't use it much. I like it and I want to keep it forever. It was only $22, not the end of the fricking world! This person formerly had a crappy plastic watering can that leaked because it was cracked. She taped it with duct tape. Then she threw it away. She also has a plastic bucket that's cracked. Plastic gardening things seem to break easily. Hopefully my beautiful metal watering can will last the rest of my life.

Reply to
wizzzer

LOL. I think someone is jealous of your watering can.

Funny thing is, I need a new can and forgot to add it to my to-do list. You've reminded me and I won't be getting another leaky plastic one. Oh no...metal for me from here on out :)

For me, they're essential. I leave one on the deck to water the planters so that I don't have to haul the hose around every day. I fill it up every two or three days and water at my leisure. I use them to apply liquid fertilizer to my container veggies...especially transplants. A capful of Miracle Gro Quick Start and off I go.

No serious gardener can survive without the trusty (metal) watering can!

:)

Reply to
cloud dreamer

I use 2.5 gallon kitty litter jugs...... ;-)

Recycling at it's best and I throw them away when they wear out as there are always more of them. The white ones last 5 times as long as the clear ones, not sure why.

I like the look and feel of metal watering cans, but they don't hold enough water for me to be practical.

They make lovely vases.......

Reply to
OmManiPadmeOmelet

Our local watering restrictions allow hand-watering (with a watering can , bucket, etc.) at times when a sprinkler is not allowed. It's also very handy for transporting water about the yard if you collect rainwater in barrels.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Ward

I use a watering can primarily to water-in new transplants with a fish-oil starter solution and to provide water to container plantings.

Reply to
TQ

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.giganews.com:

Most of the time the watering can I use is a huge metal container attached to a long hose. No worries about how much water it holds, it always has enough. Looks something like this:

00000 0 * * 0 0 ^ 0 0 \_/ 0 00000 0 >+< 0 0 000 00000

I've also got a much smaller plastic one that's great for starting plants or keeping them going in the cold frame.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Watering cans have multiple uses. First and formost, they are just COOL. Even if you never use them for anything but to look at, they are cool! I would think that the FIRST use you might use yours for would be to whack "stupid jerk" upside the head and tell her to STFU.

I use mine when I fertilize in my garden sometimes. If I don't want to water everything or drag out my hose just to give some young thing a little sip. You can unscrew the shower end of it and use it for your houseplants too. They are a great place for frogs to hide, lizards too. They look very cool. Mine is quite old, it was my mom's before she passed. It leaks and has a dent in the spout from where a recent windstorm blew it off of the porch but I still love it.

They are decorative and there is something that feels good about using one now and then. Kind of like a gnarly old walking stick. You may not NEED if but if you LIKE it, that's all that matters.

Now that I think of it, get a gnarled old walking stick, and whack "stupid jerk" with THAT too.

OR, tell her if she doesn't lay off, you'll use her bones to fertilize your tomato plants. Then look her straight in the eye, and grin REAL slow and wide.

Enjoy your watering can - sic the dog on "stupid jerk",

Kate

Reply to
Kate

Watering cans work perfectly for watering seedbeds, & small seedlings that would be injured by a heavier water stream. A good water can will last many years. I am 55 years old and still using the metal watering can I vaguely remember my parents buying when I was 3 of 4 years old. If you amortize the cost I think you are "Home Free" with any tight fisted CFO. LOL, Ken.

Reply to
Kenneth D. Schillinger

I replace my "rain wand" pretty much every year. It's only about 7.00 at Lowe's and it's a godsend for delicate plants and new beds.

I LOVE that thing!

I guess it'd be similar to using a watering can, but it attaches to the hose so is good for wider application.

I also use it for pots in the greenhouse.

Reply to
OmManiPadmeOmelet

I agree with using a "rain wand", but as I read the post I was replying to, the idea was to justify the purchase of a watering can. Imagine that; it's raining in Washington State.... Ken.

Reply to
Kenneth D. Schillinger