Wall o Waters

How early has anyone put tomatoes out in Wall o Waters? What lowest nighttime temp or date in zone 6? Their open at top so I am wondering how they keep the plants warm all night if it is really cold.
I've used them but only a month before last frost. I am thinking of pushing the season a little more this year and going for 6-8 weeks before avg last frost. (I'll keep backup plants just in case ;))
--
Bob Provencher ICQ 881862
Aesir Software Programming Consultant/Contractor
Bob Provencher wrote:

The trick with the WOW's is that you only half fill them at first. This shapes the WOW into a cone so the top is closed, albeit not tightly. As the seedling gets taller and the temps are more consistently warm, you fill the tubes all the way up which changes them to the more familliar cylinder shape.
Any time I've used them (in zone 6 too), the temps were favorable anyway. It's the old umbrella effect in action (if you've got one, you won't need it).
I think I've planted as early as April 1. I always plan to keep a journal but never do. :-(
I always keep backup plants.
Mary
I live in Kansas and I put my WOW up about the middle of march. Fill them about 3/4 full and the tops tilt in toward the center to keep the frost out. I put my WOW out about 7 to 10 days before I plant so as to warm up the ground around the area. When I get ready to plant, I pick up the WOW, move it, plant the tomato. I take a platic 5 gallon bucket(turned upside down) and place over the tomato. I then place the wall of water over the bucket and slowly remove bucket. Works pretty good for me. We have tomatoes by the 3rd week in May.

how
shapes
seedling
all the

It's
but

Yeah that's what I'm hoping for. We love tomatos, and it would be nice to get them at the same time all our salad fixins are growing ;).