Wahhh!!! The garden's gone!

Between the heat (heat index has been anywhere from 102-125 the last couple of weeks) and the lack of rain, the veggie garden is gone - despite all my sprinkler system watering every day (early morning & again late evening)

The only thing still hanging around are the crowder peas. But they are going downhill fast.

The various tomatoes & peppers are planted in my flower bed among the roses, glads, hostas, & lilies. Thankfully, all of those are thriving! for now anyways.....

Put up some stewed tomatoes in the freezer the day before yesterday. Surprisingly, I had 23 all ripen at the same time, and what's even more surprising is that they escaped my frying pan!

Reply to
rachael simpson

Next year, try some shade cloth.

Reply to
Omelet

Yeah, well, that's next year. I didn't expect such unusual weather this year! While the heat is somewhat normal, the lack of rain isn't...

Reply to
rachael simpson

Don't think you don't have my empathy... :-)

Been there, done that. I try to use strategically placed trees to save money.

Reply to
Omelet

Ps, I think WE got all your rain!

Reply to
Omelet

*snip*

I'm answering two posts in one here...

These trees (pine) were here we got here. We are pretty much surrounded by trees on all sides but the back. The back is the pasture. The main veggie patch is in a "cove" like curve along & into the tree line. It was only subjected to the morning sun. The trees shaded out the afternoon sun. I had two other "patches" elsewhere in the yard, mostly all sun.

Yeah, I don't doubt that.

Looks like all the "good" rain is headed to the gulf. The locals (myself included) would have loved the rain from TS Erin. Estimated to drop 30 inches...really would have loved that. Now it looks like Dean's gonna go that way. Hopefully, Dean won't turn into another Katrina episode.

Now, don't get me wrong, I just want the rain, not the damage from high winds, etc. Although the storms would make some nice pics too! LOL

Reply to
rachael simpson

I left weeds growing around my snow peas and not around the garden peas. The snow peas are doing great; the garden peas are having a hard time of it. The weeds (tall grasses) are shading the tender little feet on the snow peas.

Hey Rae, tell me how to put stewed 'maters up in the freezer!

Jan

Reply to
Jan Flora
*snip*

It's really easy... If you can them, then freezing is very similar, just put in a bag instead of a jar.

Stew them down with whatever seasonings you like, or plain. Cool and pour into freezer containers or bags. Ours get used pretty quickly, but they should keep at least 6 months without freezer burning. Can also prepare to freezer the same way as peas, blanch a few minutes & go for it. When I add seasonings, then I let them stew down awhile. If I don't add seasonings, then I just blanch & freeze. They are still good either way.

Reply to
rachael simpson

Ours is also gone due to severe drought conditions and heat in the low 100s for 3 weeks. The only things left are a few peppers we had in large pots. We kept them well watered. Everything else is beyond help. Our trees and shrubs are also dying. They're turning yellow and dropping their leaves. I've never seen anything like this before.

Mine are already gone. We have too many things to water. Now there is talk about restricting water use.

I got only 10 qts this summer.

Reply to
Manelli Family

It can get tricky, planting stuff so it gets enough sun, but not too much. Dad used to make the mistake of planting tomatoes in too much shade, then wondering why they did not do well.

Understood! At least it's not generating a LOT of tornadoes. I've only heard of one so far. We had one here back in March or so (iirc) but they don't get much past just West of IH-35. It was still less than 5 miles from my house and I only missed driving into it's touchdown by about 5 minutes on the freeway.

Too close.

Reply to
Omelet

Similar happened last year at my location, central texas. Similar temperatures and lack of humidity in the air. Only thing that made it to middle of summer were the maters.

Due to all the rain here, having problems with mold and fungus. Extremely unusual in these parts, specially in summer. Dave

Reply to
Dave

Thanks, kiddo!!

Jan