Volunteer cherry trees

We bought a new house last June. There was a neglected cherry tree in the back yard that we cut down. The whole yard was so negleted that we have HUNDREDS (at least) of volunteer cherry trees on the back lawn. They get cut when we mow the lawn, but it is very painful to step on one with bare feet. We have 2 young kids, and they're always running around out there in bare feet.
Any ideas on how to get rid of them?!
thx wp