Vine plants seem to be dying

I planted some "Little Marvel" peas in my garden a while back. I planted them

> in a raised garden. The garden box is 1 foot deep and filled with a mix of > turkey manure and loam. I don't know the ratio; I just bought the Planter's > Mix. They grew really, really well for a little while. Some of the plants > climbed as high as 2 1/2 feet in a short time. Then I noticed that the leaves > at the bottom of the plants started turning brown around the edges. This > contiued on all plants, working its way up the plant. The plants are now > almost completely dead. Several of them had even started to bear fruit. What > could have caused this. My other plants (except lettuce, but that a diffrent > story) are doing fine. Could it be that the soil was just to rich for the peas? > Too high in nitrogen or something? >

Now some of my other vine plants seems to be exhibiting some of the same signs that the peas did. I have pole beans, acorn squash and pumpkin that the leaves are starting to turn brown on the edges. This browning starts with the leaves at the very bottom and starts to work it's way up the plant.

Strangely, my onion, carrots, broccoli, collards, cabbage, lettuce and corn appear to be fine. It seems to only be affecting vine plants.

What am I doing wrong?

(this was originally posted to austin.gardening... i'm in austin, tx)

Reply to
downtime null

Have you had a soil test? Sounds like it could be a pH problem or an overdose of phosphorus.

Reply to
Sunflower

I haven't done a soil test yet. I hope to do that tomorrow. I'm fairly new to gardening. Is there something specific I should be looking for?

Reply to
downtime null

Most likely from your description; Fusarium or pythium root rot. These are soil borne diseases and a serious threat to peas and beans in particular. Soil Guard (Gardens Alive) helps somewhat. Not much else available to the home gardener. On a long term basis using a rye cover crop and or following a rotation of corn decreases the population of pathegens.

Reply to
FarmerDill