Vine plants seem to be dying

On 2004-05-05, downtime null wrote:

Now some of my other vine plants seems to be exhibiting some of the same signs that the peas did. I have pole beans, acorn squash and pumpkin that the leaves are starting to turn brown on the edges. This browning starts with the leaves at the very bottom and starts to work it's way up the plant.
Strangely, my onion, carrots, broccoli, collards, cabbage, lettuce and corn appear to be fine. It seems to only be affecting vine plants.
What am I doing wrong?
(this was originally posted to austin.gardening... i'm in austin, tx)
in message

them
of
Planter's
plants
leaves
What
diffrent
the peas?

the
the
corn
Have you had a soil test? Sounds like it could be a pH problem or an overdose of phosphorus.

I haven't done a soil test yet. I hope to do that tomorrow. I'm fairly new to gardening. Is there something specific I should be looking for?

Most likely from your description; Fusarium or pythium root rot. These are soil borne diseases and a serious threat to peas and beans in particular. Soil Guard (Gardens Alive) helps somewhat. Not much else available to the home gardener. On a long term basis using a rye cover crop and or following a rotation of corn decreases the population of pathegens.