Vermicomposting In Winter

In making plans for my first attempt at vermicomposting here in Zone 5A, I am wondering whether and to what extent this activity may continue uninterrupted, albeit slowly, during the winter months. Do the red worms die off in winter or just hibernate if left outdoors in their box in a dormant garden? If they are likely to die/freeze out, would it be sufficient to move the plywood worm box into an unheated garage or uninsulated outdoor storage building instead? Or do you folks build insulated worm boxes for such environments even for the unheated, uninsulated shed? The web sites I've seen so far do not seem to address these particular questions directly.

Thanks,

J.

Reply to
John

Go to Yahoo Groups, search for vermicomposting. I think you will find a group called the Wormbin. I doubt you'll ever have a question those folks can't anwer.

Reply to
J.C.

That certainly looks like the place where the experts hang out. Thanks!

J.

J.C. wrote:

Reply to
John

I've had my worms in plastic bins with shredded newspaper bedding. A couple of times when I've had them indoors in the winter there's been a plague of flying insects from the boxes. This happened early last winter and I put them outside where I assumed the cold would kill the worms. I was surprised to find them still alive this summer. I live in zone 5, Columbus, Ohio.

Reply to
Butzmark