vent - !#@!#(&$)$# Giant Rodents

I planted my pumpkins in the manure pile. They usually can grow a bit before the giant rodents (aka deer) find them. In fact, usually the rodents are content to wait until the female flowers appear, then they attack.
This year, the night I planted them they got to my little helpless seedlings before I could fence. Arrgh. At least they didn't get them all.
That thumping noise is the sound of me kicking myself. Next year, planting and fencing will occur simultaneously.
Vent over. Thanks.
Mary

all.
Thanks for the warning! The corn will be up soon, and I have some electric fencing that will be going around the garden.
Will a low electric fence deter the deer, or will I have to put up something they can't jump over?
Ray

Seems as though the electric fence will motivate them to jump that much higher <!>
Deer easily clear their own height from a standing jump; you'll need at least a 6-foot high fence. Orchard owners put up permanent 10-ft high fences in the Pac NW to keep out the large mule deer (who love apples even more than horses and mules do.)
Gray
--
Reply to: allen-at-graybyrd.net

Put an electric fence around the garden. Put strips of aluminum foil hanging from the fence wire and put peanut butter on the aluminum foil strips. They love peanut butter and the lesson will be learned the first time.

my deer may not be as desperate as other deer, but they touched the wire once (at 4 ft, a few inches above a chain link fence) and stayed away forever. same for a groundhog whose burrow was 15 ft from the fence and who did break in a few times before.
Venison is delicious!
hawk