Using newspapers for mulch/weed control ?

I've seen references to spreading a couple pages of old newspaper out as ground cover for weed control. I have my doubts about how rain water seeps thru the paper. Is it fast enough ?
If I punched holes with a pitchfork it seems to me that the paper would shred and blow away.
Any experience ?
Thanks
--
Al Dykes
-----------

environment

You should only use the newsprint part of the paper anyway, not anything printed in color like advertisements, flyers, etc.
--
McQualude

g'day scott,
i contacted an ink manufacturer over here and they told me that any inks made here use vegetable colours as they can get as bright a red or yellow etc.,. that they want that way. also i was told that even if you had a full page of solid colour the weight of the ink is less than 2% the total weight of the paper and ink combined. anyway as i observed the worms seem to go for the coloured stuff before the other.
len
snipped
--
happy gardening