Urban Agriculture

As a brief introduction, my name is Yasmin Khan and I am currently in my fourth and final year studying towards a Masters in Product Design and Manufacture (MEng) at the University of Nottingham.

I am currently in the early stages of my final project with my chosen brief of Urban Agriculture designing a product that is simple to set up, manufacture, implement and maintain within the context of the urban environment. As I am still at the beginning of my project I am still not sure what direction it will take ? be it fruit/veg, animals (i.e. bee keeping or keeping chickens) or composting.

I thought I?d post on this forum and see what your views are. Do you live in a city but still grow your own? Or do you do you grow fruit/veg or keep bees (for instance) as a hobbie and think it would easily transfer over to an urban environment? What do you grow? Any views, opinions, thoughts would be much appreciated. I?m trying to get a rounded view and not just my own thoughts.

Thanks, Yasmin

Reply to
YKDesigns

What reason do you have for thinking urban agriculture needs any such thing?

Given that this is an international forum populated by people in many different environments and circumstances how will you determine the relevance of the replies?

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Hi Yasmin,

I am also new to this forum. I manage a small demonstration greenhouse for a company called Greenhouse Sensation.

The question you have posed is a very interesting one and pertinient to modern day living. With so many people and an increased awareness of 'food miles', many people are wanting to grow their own fruit and vegetables. There are many ways to do this in a urban environment. As the demand for fresh food increases a number of people are looking at ways of growing intensively in a small space. This includes ways to increase yields thereby getting more from each square metre of land. A great example of this is the project currently underway at Paignton Zoo:

may find that alternative methods of growing of interest.

Reply to
VictoriaJS