unintended hybridization?

We are planting heirloom varieties this year and are planning three different types of tomatoes (beefsteak, roma and one other). Our garden plot is small and even if we plant them all as far away from each other as possible I would say there will be less than 4 feet between varieties.
Will these three plants "interpolinate" creating a non-standard variety from the seeds next season? Hubby seems to think this is inevitable since the plants are so near to each other.
Has anyone had any experience with this happening?
Thanks.
chula
chula said:

I remember reading about a study done in South America which showed that the natural hybridization rate for tomatoes was actually quite low.
But it can certainly be *prevented* in the home garden by bagging selected trusses to prevent insect visits. You should shake the bagged trusses to ensure self-fertilization. Once the tomatoes have set, remove the bag and mark the truss with a bit of bright yarn or ribbon.

I guess you are trying to save seeds? The rate of cross pollination is low, but this varies from type to type. Currant tomatoes and certain types of beefsteaks cross much more readily. You ideally want at least 25 ft for home seed saving and more if you want a better guarantee..or bag the trusses as mentioned. Also plant a buffer between them, something more attractive to insects in search of pollen.

Scatter some extra basil seeds and let it flower.
Bees won't even notice the tomatoes.
Penelope
chula wrote:

variety