ume boshi

I would like to grow a Japanese plum tree for making ume-boshi. I need to know the name of the tree(s) that are best for this, the hardiness zones where they can grow (I'm in MA), and where to purchase one (or 2 if it requires pollination.)
Thanks in advance / duomo arigatou gozaimasu.
Robert La Ferla wrote:

I think the plum tree that produces plums for making umeboshi are called Nannkou plums or petite plums but I am not sure.
Robert, I did a Google search on umeboshi and found several links. This one was helpful: http://metropolis.japantoday.com/biginjapan/350/biginjapaninc.htm
This lists the tree as prunus mume; my reference book lists the common name as Japanese apricot, hardiness zones 6-9.
Another link that offers information and recipes is: http://www.pickled-ume.com/english / (This site has been automatically translated into English and is somewhat awkward to follow the imperfect translation.)
This link has less info on the process of making umeboshi, but has a lot of info on the benefits of consuming it: http://home.iae.nl/users/lightnet/paramahamsa/umeboshi.htm
This was very interesting. I wasn't aware that the prunus genus included so many other fruits.
Here's a .pdf doc from the USDA on prunus mume that has a zone map and many more details: http://hort.ifas.ufl.edu/trees/PRUMUMA.pdf
There are several other links from a Google search. I'll let you go from there.
Good luck! SF
Robert La Ferla wrote:

You're welcome / doitashimashite
:)