ume boshi

I would like to grow a Japanese plum tree for making ume-boshi. I need to know the name of the tree(s) that are best for this, the hardiness zones where they can grow (I'm in MA), and where to purchase one (or 2 if it requires pollination.)

Thanks in advance / duomo arigatou gozaimasu.

Reply to
Robert La Ferla

I think the plum tree that produces plums for making umeboshi are called Nannkou plums or petite plums but I am not sure.

Reply to
Robert La Ferla

Robert, I did a Google search on umeboshi and found several links. This one was helpful:

lists the tree as prunus mume; my reference book lists the common name as Japanese apricot, hardiness zones 6-9.

Another link that offers information and recipes is:

site has been automatically translated into English and is somewhat awkward to follow the imperfect translation.)

This link has less info on the process of making umeboshi, but has a lot of info on the benefits of consuming it:

was very interesting. I wasn't aware that the prunus genus included so many other fruits.

Here's a .pdf doc from the USDA on prunus mume that has a zone map and many more details:

are several other links from a Google search. I'll let you go from there.

Good luck! SF

Reply to
Soul Flier

You're welcome / doitashimashite