uhoh

Page 2 of 2
FarmI wrote:

aside from tofu, you can roast them for a snack item, you can ferment them and make black bean sauce, soy sauce or add them to other various fish sauces or hot sauces, they can be cooked just like any other dried bean and used in chili or soups or stews. and as Steve mentioned the green soft beans (before they dry and get hard) are edible, but many people grow specific varieties of those as they have a less green/grassy flavor.

yes, and if you've just made soy milk then the steps for making tofu follow on (as then it's already heated up). get it down to the right temperature, add coagulant, strain out curds and press.

ooh!

the site i mentioned in the the other post on making soy milk continued on making tofu and i tried it with lemon juice, but decided the taste and texture weren't for me. i like other tofu at times, but normally don't eat it. then i tried tempeh and didn't much like that either. so stopping at soymilk was good enough for me as i do like that.
songbird

That's one bean we don't have to spend any time shelling. Soybeans are a huge cash crop around this area with many thousands of acres grown each year. We can get more than we need of already shelled soybeans quite easily. Many pounds are spilled when the harvested beans are transferred from the combines to the waiting trucks. I've never been denied permission to retreive some of the spilled beans when I've asked.
Ross. Southern Ontario, Canada. Ag Canada Zone 5B 43 17' 26.75" North 80 13' 29.46" West
Ross@home wrote:
...re soybeans...

yes, i could do that too, but i don't want glyphosate resistant soybeans (which are what 99+% of farmers grow around here). this is also soybean/corn growing country (a few farmers grow sugar beets).
the taste is noticeably different compared to what i grew last year. those were beans picked off the ground from the field next to us. won't do that again.
songbird