Uh-oh

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/07/opinion/07krugman.html?_r=1&oref=slogin
Grains Gone Wild
Article Tools Sponsored By By PAUL KRUGMAN Published: April 7, 2008
These days you hear a lot about the world financial crisis. But theres another world crisis under way and its hurting a lot more people.
Im talking about the food crisis. Over the past few years the prices of wheat, corn, rice and other basic foodstuffs have doubled or tripled, with much of the increase taking place just in the last few months. High food prices dismay even relatively well-off Americans but theyre truly devastating in poor countries, where food often accounts for more than half a familys spending.
There have already been food riots around the world. Food-supplying countries, from Ukraine to Argentina, have been limiting exports in an attempt to protect domestic consumers, leading to angry protests from farmers and making things even worse in countries that need to import food. . . ----------------
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/08/business/worldbusiness/08inflate.html?p agewanted=1&eiP88&en7e8eeb99f7441c&ex65393600&partner=rssnyt&emcrss
Asian Inflation Begins to Sting U.S. Shoppers Justin Mott for The New York Times
. . . Developing countries have had bouts of inflation before. Indeed, some are famous for them, like Brazil, which experienced triple-digit inflation in the late 1980s and early 1990s. But two things make this time different, and together promise to send prices higher at Wal-Mart and supermarkets alike in the United States, just as the possibility of recession looms.
First, developing countries now produce nearly half of all American imports. Second, inflation in these countries is coming at the same time that many of their currencies are rising against the dollar.
That puts American consumers in a double bind, paying at least some of producers higher costs for making their goods, and higher prices on top of that because the dollar buys less in those countries. . .
. . . And there are signs that the dollar could fall further if developing countries central banks stopped supporting it, particularly in Asia.
Vietnams central bank even had to order the countrys commercial banks late last month to resume buying dollars within the tight range of exchange rates set by the government. Many banks had started betting on dollar depreciation and refusing to accept large sums in dollars, to the point that multinationals and exporters had trouble wiring money into the country to pay their employees salaries. ---------
Make that garden as big as you can. Food = $
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi, Bush & Cheney to the Hague
In article

Look at some of these graphs dealing with Commodity/Futures.
<http://www.investmenttools.com/futures/ Scary for sure. Deals with food stuffs and more.
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
MaCain in 2038 !!

Yike is right. Thanks for this link. All the info is in one place for me now.
The last two months. Very not good. Overseas news is reporting the results of this. Several grain exporting countries will *not* be exporting this year.
Last week we hit one of the big boxes and I picked up a couple hundred pounds of rice and beans. Short term insurance.
Got Rice? Charlie

Yup we have about 3 months worth on hand. I've got it in 2 # containers as I've had 50# bags go buggy before. Australia is a major exporter of wheat. This drought they have effects us all.
There is always squirrel stew. :))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH9MaW1tjig

Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
MaCain in 2038 !!

I use the old chunk of dry ice in the bottom of a bucket and fill with rice letting the CO2 displace the O2 before sealing the bucket trick.

LOL
Let's not forget this fine dining experience either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1NlLJsr2ac

We need to have a care here, we're gonna hurt old Billy's feelings by hijinxing his thread. ;-)
Charlie

I thought we were on topic but I usually do :))
The devil made me do it. Billy made me do it. Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
MaCain in 2038 !!

Hey Billy, you gettin' this? {:-[>
Guess not. Must be out getting grounded, lucky feller!

Ah yes......a fine compost of ideas!
"Spread it on the ground, pile it up, add stuff or not....... Just don't bag it up and throw it away. It's all good." cat daddy
Life. It all works together, always on topic, to create something better if we just mix it up and let it.
Charlie

LOL

Got me thinkin
Wonder how wild rice is being priced these days. Was pricey but with our current changes maybe worth a look.
<http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en-us&q=wild+rice&ie=UTF - 8&oe=UTF-8>
Bill
Wild rice a traditional food B4 white guys add Maple Syrup b4 white guys. What is next Acorn's. Never ate them. :))
Below deals with acorns.
<http://plantanswers.tamu.edu/recipes/squirrel.html
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
MaCain in 2038 !!

Thanks. Nice nuts! ;-)
I've eaten them, years ago. Pretty good, as I remember.
I was going to paste info from the usda nutrient database but it was pdf and too large and unruly so here is a other site dealing with limited nutrient value.
http://cf.ibsys.com/char/sh/food/food_item.cfm?s=y&srchwrd=chocolate&fdgrp=all&storedno 060&addItem060&no060
If you want some good detailed reference on nutrients of most foods download the usda nutrient database, if it is still available. I got it several years ago.
Charlie
On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 17:20:19 -0500, Charlie wrote:

...and these guys make a nice front end for the USDA database: http://www.kelpiesoft.com/applib/foodfile / it's free. I've used it for a couple of years or so.

Nice. Thanks. It's downloaded.
Kinda fond of the price too.
Charlie
On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 20:18:41 -0500, Charlie wrote:

Yer welcome.

Man, yer fast! ;-)
http://www.commondreams.org/archive/2008/04/09/8192 /