two articles

Thank you, Dan L. for that excursion into the absurd. I know that there are many absurd things in the world. I was asking about this news group, and what would he point to as a faith based diatribe, IN THIS NEWSGROUP? Feel free to join in ;O)

Reply to
Billy

LOL! "the excursion into the absurd" that a good insult, I like it. I can use it on others. But that's OK, it's the idealist and non objectivity in you :)

This newsgroup, those that temporarily visit, are not as extreme on the use of artificial fertilizers, herbicides and pesticides. To many here, the use of these chemicals are like if you use them you will burn in hell. Many and I say MANY in the world, want that five star garden and the best way (religion here) is to use chemicals. They could care less about IPM or going organic.

I like to read the insults, it adds to my entertainment :) that is probably why I stick around. For objective advice there is the web. Only the radicals stick around here for the entertainment and those with nothing else to do.

Many here want the advice without the extra insults or the extra political comments added "Otherwise known as "Occupied Palestine"". Wheres the garden advice in that quote?

Reply to
Dan L

I thought I was going to be the only one to notice that shining beacon.

David Hare-Scott

This is known as poking the possum. With usenet you have a very long stick.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

WOW, That is exactly what I did two nights ago! My little dog was barking constantly. A possum under my back deck. I poked the possum with a 10 foot paint pole. Now I know the phrase has a double meaning, cool.

Reply to
Dan L.

It's a useful question because some Usenet posters report no contact with folks who have migrated to web boards. I follow several web boards and e-mail lists that have several dozen people who tried UseNet and left (none about gardening). They all report hostile environment, mostly trolls, as the reason they gave up. Killfiles may work, but killfiles are not needed where they moved to.

Reply to
Doug Freyburger

Not to green wash the "Occupation of Palestine". I don't think either of you want to open this particular Pandora's Box ;O) K?

Reply to
Billy

It is a faith based topic. No win topic. It all depends on ones presupposition. if the worlds heads of state cannot solve the problem what makes you think it can be solved here? I am in no position to save the world from hate, poverty, greed, religious differences.... I have a hard time just trying to take of myself.

If one is constantly concerned about the world problems, that person is either a statesman or insane. I garden and study mathematics to take my mind off the worlds problems in order to stay sane.

Try and be sane Billy, focus on the gardens and enjoy life...

Reply to
Dan L

And just ignore the genocide? You say you want me to be sane? HELLO.

Reply to
Billy

Why do you say that? Or rather, on what evidence do you make that statement?

If I were to lust after any 5 star garden that I know of, it would be the garden at 'Highgrove' owned by HRH Prince Charles. That garden is run on very strict organic principles.

Reply to
FarmI

The sanity part comes in where you make sensible decisions about the appropriate time and place for promoting your cause. If you think that the extraordinary importance of the issue necessarily overrides all questions of relevance to the forum where it might be aired then you have just become a nutter or a spammer. Which rather defeats the purpose because then you will get killfilled or ignored. I think, I hope, that you are smarter than that.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

I thought I made a minimalist response to Penelope's propaganda, 5 words. Her support for genocide, and her jabs at Arabs, and people of color are done in this group. Where would you suggest I respond to them?

Reply to
Billy

Then I suggest you become a political statesmen, priest, or a mercenary. Using a garden forum to expand your cause is over the top.

Reply to
Dan L

If HRH garden is five star and uses NO artificial chemicals I will be surprised. Show me a lawn that has no dandelions in the spring and I will show you someone that uses chemicals. The word "organic" also has different meanings from place to place. Some places the product "seven" is organic, is it in your book?

I will say it is possible to have that five star garden without chemicals. It will require large numbers of people to pull every weed by hand, remove each and every bug by hand, wash every leaf with soap and water by hand. It is beyond the reach of the average person.

First, I use natural methods in my gardening. One will not have that five star lawn without the use pesticides and artificial fertilizers. My lawn is full of weeds. In Michigan, if your want those fantastic looking show stopper roses, you will need a full arsenal of chemicals to keep them fantastic looking. Those pesky japanese beetles can wreck a rose garden in a short time.

Using organic systems that use biological methods never completely solves the problem. It almost always comes down to a predator vs prey scenario. One will only reduce the number of pest not completely get rid of them. Organic methods at best will have a three or four star garden. Many that earn their living by selling super looking healthy plants will use everything in their power to make money. I After using a biological method to reduce the problem, one may not need as much chemicals to finish off the pest or weed. Some call this a form of IPM.

Reply to
Dan L

I'm with you on that one...

...and the Duchy Home Farm went organic in 1986.

Reply to
phorbin

and finished the transition in 96.

Reply to
phorbin

Billy must be punished.

Then again he must be praised. Would anyone say he is a gardener besides me? He knows how to grow things with low level energy input. With crude ~$ 75 would you not find this useful?

I fall into the latter camp and wonder why folks who can't handle Billy just don't kill the (Insert obscenity of choice here) thread. Group think alike when out of fashion yea right. Know everything I've been instructed to know Yea right.

If you looked at the site that Frank thought was useful and then looked at the next link the word WINGNUT craws in.

deals with oil running out note how Russia becomes a German friend and Israel is diminished. .

Reply to
Bill who putters

Here is the problem. I saw nothing that required a response and that is not because I am oblivious to the situation in the middle east. Just because somebody says something favourable about Israel (they developed some good dryland cultivars) you feel you must take up cudgels. What was said is factually correct and some good gardeners did some good work. All that is on topic. Can't it be left at that rather than opening The Box on the rights and wrongs of the State of Israel? Show your passion about gardening.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

When it comes to gardening, Billy is the guru, much more knowledgeable than I.

Reply to
Dan L

Tell you what, the next time I find Penelope, a.k.a Higgs Boson, a.k.a. "conceit du jour", in flagrante delicto, I'll notify you and deputy Dan. I shall note with interest, your reactions ;O) Until then, I wash my hands of the affair.

Reply to
Billy