two articles

Page 2 of 4  
David Hare-Scott wrote:

It's a useful question because some Usenet posters report no contact with folks who have migrated to web boards. I follow several web boards and e-mail lists that have several dozen people who tried UseNet and left (none about gardening). They all report hostile environment, mostly trolls, as the reason they gave up. Killfiles may work, but killfiles are not needed where they moved to.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

What do you want to see discussed? We discuss the best and worst of our garden plants, offer suggestions on pests. We discuss organic vs. non-organic, and impact of cultivation methods on the environment. We discuss till vs. no till gardening.
What would you point to as a faith based diatribe?
--
- Billy
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I BELIEVE :). I know what the person is talking about. Almost all areas of study has a faith base controversy. It is a basic presupposition that many believe as a fact that may or not be true. Ex: Weather: Global Warming is true. From there a line of reasoning will continue to defend a way of life or doing things.
Ex: physics: objects move in increments from A to B. Others believe objects move continuously occupying all points from A to B. Zeno's Paradoxes.
Ex: Abortion: Human life begins at conception, therefore should be illegal. Others believe Human life begins at birth, therefore should be legal.
The list goes on... Such hard line beliefs in any forum can wreck it. Leads to insults. If you believe that then you are $&@:$;)) and the flame wars begin.
This stuff goes on at many work places also to the point of no real work get done. However, we all have our beliefs and want to express them. As for me, I like the political as well as practical. I know others just want straight answers without the arguing.
Usenet is older than email. The web is so developed that anyone can get the information they want on plants and gardening without the politics. As for me, I always go to the web for the information I want.
What I like about here - is the politics of gardening that will not be typically found in many web based garden forums. Let the arguments begin!
At least this is my belief :)
--
Enjoy Life... Dan L (Garden in zone 5a Michigan)

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Thank you, Dan L. for that excursion into the absurd. I know that there are many absurd things in the world. I was asking about this news group, and what would he point to as a faith based diatribe, IN THIS NEWSGROUP? Feel free to join in ;O)
--
- Billy
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

LOL! "the excursion into the absurd" that a good insult, I like it. I can use it on others. But that's OK, it's the idealist and non objectivity in you :)
This newsgroup, those that temporarily visit, are not as extreme on the use of artificial fertilizers, herbicides and pesticides. To many here, the use of these chemicals are like if you use them you will burn in hell. Many and I say MANY in the world, want that five star garden and the best way (religion here) is to use chemicals. They could care less about IPM or going organic.
I like to read the insults, it adds to my entertainment :) that is probably why I stick around. For objective advice there is the web. Only the radicals stick around here for the entertainment and those with nothing else to do.
Many here want the advice without the extra insults or the extra political comments added "Otherwise known as "Occupied Palestine"". Wheres the garden advice in that quote?
--
Enjoy Life... Dan L (Garden in zone 5a Michigan)

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Dan L wrote:

I thought I was going to be the only one to notice that shining beacon.
D
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Not to green wash the "Occupation of Palestine". I don't think either of you want to open this particular Pandora's Box ;O) K?

--
- Billy
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

It is a faith based topic. No win topic. It all depends on ones presupposition. if the worlds heads of state cannot solve the problem what makes you think it can be solved here? I am in no position to save the world from hate, poverty, greed, religious differences.... I have a hard time just trying to take of myself.
If one is constantly concerned about the world problems, that person is either a statesman or insane. I garden and study mathematics to take my mind off the worlds problems in order to stay sane.
Try and be sane Billy, focus on the gardens and enjoy life...
--
Enjoy Life... Dan L (Garden in zone 5a Michigan)

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

And just ignore the genocide? You say you want me to be sane? HELLO.
--
- Billy
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Billy wrote:

The sanity part comes in where you make sensible decisions about the appropriate time and place for promoting your cause. If you think that the extraordinary importance of the issue necessarily overrides all questions of relevance to the forum where it might be aired then you have just become a nutter or a spammer. Which rather defeats the purpose because then you will get killfilled or ignored. I think, I hope, that you are smarter than that.
David
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I thought I made a minimalist response to Penelope's propaganda, 5 words. Her support for genocide, and her jabs at Arabs, and people of color are done in this group. Where would you suggest I respond to them?
--
- Billy
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Billy wrote:

Here is the problem. I saw nothing that required a response and that is not because I am oblivious to the situation in the middle east. Just because somebody says something favourable about Israel (they developed some good dryland cultivars) you feel you must take up cudgels. What was said is factually correct and some good gardeners did some good work. All that is on topic. Can't it be left at that rather than opening The Box on the rights and wrongs of the State of Israel? Show your passion about gardening.
David
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

When it comes to gardening, Billy is the guru, much more knowledgeable than I.
--
Enjoy Life... Dan L (Garden in zone 5a Michigan)

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Enough bull pucky for a hundred acres. We are all beginners here. Let's see a show of hands. Who is the guru here? If I were choosing, I'd pick Cheryl Isaak, or Emilie, or FarmI, or Kate, or Kay Lancaster, or Pat in Plymouth, or The Cook, but I'm sure if you asked them, they would tell you that they are just beginners. This isn't a race. There are questions we want to ask, and there are answers that we know, and we participate. We participate. That is the alpha and omega of it all.
--
- Billy
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

:-)) I agree. What's the old saying about gardening? "The more I learn, the more I know I need to learn>" (or somesuch).
Let's

Yup to all that. I know about things I've grown and paid attention to, but there are slews of things I've grown or do grow and I couldn't tell you anything about them to save myself because they just do their own thing and need no input from me.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Tell you what, the next time I find Penelope, a.k.a Higgs Boson, a.k.a. "conceit du jour", in flagrante delicto, I'll notify you and deputy Dan. I shall note with interest, your reactions ;O) Until then, I wash my hands of the affair.
--
- Billy
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Well I killfiled Higgs B. eons ago so didn't see the post about Israel. I doubt taht I missed anythign interesting. I can recommend using your kf.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Billy wrote:

I am not claiming any authority I am just trying to persuade you, let's drop it.
David
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Since you seem to be oblivious to her, I have to wonder why. You haven't noticed when she spits poison, but rush to chasten my 5 little words.
--
- Billy
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Then I suggest you become a political statesmen, priest, or a mercenary. Using a garden forum to expand your cause is over the top.
--
Enjoy Life... Dan L (Garden in zone 5a Michigan)

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.