Trying something different

We have 10 year established beds, heavily amended with organic matter, lava sand, green sand, soft rock phosphate and organic fertilizer. After reading how buying tomato starts which can be contaminated with blight, we ordered seed for heirloom tomatoes from an Oregon supplier. We started the seeds in flats in the portable greenhouse, and then moved them outside when it warmed up, the transplanted them to the garden. We started the seeds in mid February. Out of the greenhouse by mid to late March and into the garden. Today, all of the transplants are over 5 feet tall with no indication of blight and strong healthy fruit. I'll never buy starts again. If anyone wants photos of these plants, I'll be happy to oblige. Happily gardening in paradise....(zone 8) in North Texas...expecting 102 degrees by Saturday...

BTW...I won't bore you with the amazing asparagus beds...lol

Reply to
Thos

The fungus can come on the seeds too, so only deal with reputable sources, but even then, they may have suppliers, freakin' "global economy". Your seeds could come from China, or worse, and you would never know, until the recall.

Reply to
Billy

A typical response from the dumbass you are. Nothing changes.

Reply to
Thos

Dam dude, who licked the red off of your candy?

Reply to
Steve Peek

Kinda my thought too....

And since the blight spores are airborne, your neighbors can still infect your garden... apparently, keeping rain off with a clear "roof" helps.

All the more reason to save your own heirloom seeds; it's dead easy, and you know what you've got, not to mention breeding your own "landrace" by picking the best plants in your location each year.

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic Zone 5/4 in upstate New York, 1420' elevation. NY WO G

Reply to
Gary Woods

I responded as I did as a result of his ignorant and assuming response. I stated that I bought my seed from a source in Oregon. I suppose I should have been more thorough. I bought my seed from a small family owned organic garden and supply, that raises crops and transplants. They collect seed from the plants they raise and sell the seed. His partial reply was.....

I bought my seeds from a reputable supplier. This isn't the first response from his dumb ass I've dealt with. That is why I don't spend much time in this group. I simply can't deal with him. Some people, such as myself, have a life...some clearly don't. It was a typical response from him, assuming something that wasn't the case and attempting to take it somewhere is didn't need to go. Whatever....you folks muddle on...I'm outa here lol...

Reply to
Thos