Tree debris for mulch?

We here in Ohio had a terrible ice storm before Christmas. Most of the trees in the area had substantial damage. We are having our debris ground up by a tree company. My question is can the ground up tree debris be used as a mulch in my vegetable garden. The damaged trees were different types of maples.

Reply to
euclid69

I have heard that composting Fresh tree debris (at least some kinds of trees) will pull the nitrogen out of the soil. You may want to let it dry out for a year or so before doing it. Maybe someone else has more information on it and will respond.

Dwayne

Reply to
Dwayne

At a recent master gardener class there was a presentation that said that tree chips, called "arborist chips", are an excellent mulch. Apparently the chips do not draw nitrogen from the soil but bacteria/fungus work slowly on the chips at the soil/chip interface.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Moats

As a mulch it will need nitrogen added, lawn clippings are good for this, otherwise it may draw too much nitrogen out of the soil to break itself down. Other wise it should be good mulch. I presume it doesn't include walnut trees.

Reply to
Loki

yes you casn use it in your veggie garden. You may also want to spread some clean grass clippings(grass wasn't treating with weed/grub killer) over a thin layer of the woods chips than add more woodchips to the amount you want. The wood chip mulch will break down over time.Come fall blend in more of the clean grass clippings with the mulch when you put the garden to bed for the winter.

Reply to
JRYezierski