transplanting raspberries

Hi-Can someone tell me when is a good time to transplant raspberries. I have 8 or 9 plants growing very close together and would like to spread them out some. I'm thinking that I should do this in the fall. Also, what else should I do to ensure they grow well after transplanting.
TIA- Leslie Zone 5 (Eastern WA, just south of British Columbia, Canada)
Leslie said:

I've always transplanted raspberries in the early spring (which, according to an article in Fine Gardening, is the best time to do it).
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

Thanks Pat. That's good to know. That's one less thing to do this fall.
Leslie