Tough Tomato Stems

I'm not sure what variety I have but dang the picking is difficult this year. I've started using wire clippers to free the tomatoes from the vine.

That's odd usally it is just a twist and they come right off. Are they fully ripe? Maybe the plant knows they aren't quite ripe yet so it hasn't loosened the grip on them.
DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email) Zone 6b/7, Westchester Co, NY, <1 mile off L.I.Sound 3rd year gardener http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalfrazier/album?.dir=/2055&.src=ph
Dave wrote:

You are not growing one of the jointless tomatoes are you? Those were created for commercial shippers and are "designed" so that the stem actually pulls out of the tomato rather than separate at a joint like normal tomatoes. You can tell by looking at the stem. Is there a natural joint or separation point where it should break when you bend the stem? Pulling free of the stem was an advantage to shippers because that way there was no short stem to punch holes in the next tomato in the box.
Steve