Tough scapes

What are the visual cues that it is time to cut a garlic scape (for the skillet)?
How low should it be cut?
Should any portion of it be discarded?
Bill

they don't really ripen. The earlier the tenderer, the best are cut as soon as the base of the flower becomes visible, in which case you have to cut just below the flower. this is also best for the bulb, because all the energy of the extra foot of scape will now go to the bulb.

Slightly O.T. If I remove the scapes from elephant garlic, new leaf blades grow out from the tips of the cloves and are not wrappers around the bulbs like the earlier leaf blades. So I believe it is best to leave the scapes on for elephant garlic. This may be due to our warm climate with temps over 100 deg in may (Phoenix AZ area). This hasn't happened with the true, hardneck garlic. Olin

As others said, the earlier the better for the plant; I usually cut mine about the time they make their first curl, and discard the paper "tail" above the bud. If they're a bit tough, there's always the food processor, nuts, olive oil...
Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at www.albany.net/~gwoods Zone 5/6 in upstate New York, 1420' elevation. NY WO G
Gary Woods wrote:

A collective 'thanks' to all who responded. I'm on my way outdoors with knife in hand even as this makes its way to the newsgroup. ;-)