too compact grapes

i have a 4 yr old grapevine that has produced a lot of grapes thi year .however the grapes are very tightly compacted and havent room to expand. can i do anything about this ?

Reply to
dasvaya

You may find that as the bunches mature, the stems between the grapes actually lengthen and the bunch becomes looser. That's what happens on my vines. There are also grape varieties where the bunches are so tightly packed the grapes get flats on them where the grapes touch - some of the table grapes you buy in the shops are like this. So growers of those varieties don't see it as a problem, but rather a feature of that variety.

Short of individually pruning off individual grapes - something that might be done for grapes that are going to used for making certain very, very expensive wines, or planting a different grape variety, there is nothing practical you can do about it.

There are a great many varieties of grape. It is worth researching the properties of the variety before planting it. Nurseries sell a lot of totally unsuitable grape varieties to people. For example, I've seen things like Cabernet Sauvignon for sale in England, complete waste of space in our climate.

Reply to
echinosum

Reduce watering.

Reply to
Billy

Medicare, while cutting taxes on the wealthy.

bs. And it=B9s not that difficult to get out of it. The first thing you do = is you get rid of corporate welfare. That=B9s hundreds of billions of dolla= rs a year. The second is you tax corporations so that they don=B9t get away= with no taxation.

You give good gardening advice but cut the spinach from your postings. A Kucinich and Nader fan would otherwise be judged an unrelable source ;)

Reply to
Frank