Too cold for beans? and a carrot question...

I planted three kinds of beans early last week. The weather had been quite warm, the soil was warm, and the beans were soaked overnight before planting.
A few days later a cold snap started. Temps down into the high 40s overnight, low 60s daytime. Today it's in the mid-50s and raining. I don't see any beans coming up yet, except maybe a couple of the limas. It's supposed to warm up again tomorrow but remain wet the rest of the week.
Am I worrying needlessly that the beans will rot?
Also, today I couldn't resist pulling a few of the carrots I planted last fall. (The patch has gotten too thick anyhow.) The tops of the carrots are around 2' tall and very green (the tallest one appeared to be getting ready to go to seed), but the carrots themselves are not very big, maybe 4-5" long, 1' diameter at the large end, and a very pale orange color. Since I've never been able to get carrots to grow in the past, I'm thrilled to have anything at all, but wondering if I did something wrong.... shouldn't these carrot be larger and more orange? They do taste very good.
| the carrots themselves are not very big, maybe 4-5" | long, 1' diameter at the large end
I meant to write 1" diameter... sorry
On Mon, 10 May 2010 14:43:22 -0500, Pat wrote:

I'm in the same boat. I just planted my corn, peas and cucumbers. I figure it will take a week for them to sprout and by then the weather will have improved a bit. I've also planted backup plants in peat pots which I'll use if I don't see anything growing from the ground by the start of June.

I looked up beans and corn in the "Vegetable Gardener' Bible" by Edward C. Smith. (Amazon.com product link shortened) 580172121/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid06815454&sr=1-1
Beans need 70-75°F to germinate and 60°F to grow. Corn needs 80°F to germinate and 65 - 75°F to grow. If your gonna push 'em out in the cold, you may want to help 'em by germinating them first.
--
- Billy
In article

I looked up beans and corn in the "Vegetable Gardener' Bible" by Edward C. Smith. (Amazon.com product link shortened) 580172121/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid06815454&sr=1-1
Beans need 70-75F to germinate and 60F to grow. Corn needs 80F to germinate and 65 - 75F to grow. If your gonna push 'em out in the cold, you may want to help 'em by germinating them first.
I don't know where the "" came from or what they mean.
--
- Billy
Pat wrote:

A week is not much time, I would give them another two weeks before worrying. There isn't much you can do about it aside from sow again later when the weather is warmer.

David