Tomatoes with sprouting seeds inside.

In the seven decades that I've been eating tomatoes, this is the first time that I have seen so many store bought tomatoes with sprouting seeds inside them.

What gives? Do these new varieties bred to resist rough handling with their tougher inner walls have the disadvantage of sprouting seeds before they are consumed? Actually its quite disgusting to see these worm-like sprouts when the tomato is cut open. ======

Reply to
Roy

i've never seen that before.

best to take them back to where you bought them and then they get to pass along the information to their suppliers. if they never hear anything from their customers they will assume things are ok...

songbird

Reply to
songbird

I haven't bought tomatoes for a very long time, so I can't say about the commercial stuff. But I've had this happen in the garden. I think it was back when I was growing Celebrity.

Reply to
Drew Lawson

It happens at times. No biggie unless it is happening at an alarming rate for you with tomatoes that are otherwise just reaching their eating peak.

AND several other things enter into this....are you buying the same variety of tomatoes time after time and noticing this or are you buying different sorts? Are you buying them all at the same store/farm stand?

Boron

Reply to
Boron Elgar

ime that I have seen so many store bought tomatoes with sprouting seeds ins ide them.

eir tougher inner walls have the disadvantage of sprouting seeds before the y are consumed? Actually its quite disgusting to see these worm-like sprout s when the tomato is cut open.

This has happened three or four times this summer with store bought "field tomatoes"...Canadian grown. They don't have the varietal name on the tomato . Usually they don't have an odd taste but these last ones were like eating lettuce veins and tomato combined. Not good.

My brother gave me a raft of home-grown beefsteak type and THEY were great. ..beats the taste of commercial ones by far...no comparison actually. I'd g row my own but have had some on-going health problems.

===

Reply to
Roy

If they have a product number or SKU sticker, it's worth trotting that, at least, to the store. This really sounds like a grower/varietal problem.

Nothing quite like home grown tomatoes. Sorry you cannot "indulge."

If the weather holds above a hard frost this week as it is supposed to here in northern NJ, then I will still be picking tomatoes in November.

Boron

Reply to
Boron Elgar

Several different times last year when I bought tomatoes at the grocer the seeds were black. It didn't seem a problem when I ate the tomato at once. When I used some, then wrapped it in plastic, put it in the fridge for later is when problems started. A few hours later when the tomato was removed from the fridge, it had a clear slime on it that was so disgusting it had to be thrown away.

I haven't seen seeds sprout inside a tomato, yet.

Reply to
alien from planet x