Tomatoes not growing...

Page 2 of 2

My dogs oughta keep the deer out of the yard. <G> There is a small herd that grazes across the street. I'm a 'burbanite unfortunately so pardon me for envying your acreage!
As for bear... I'm glad to say there are none here. Those things scare me.
:-)
Winters in central Texas have been colder lately, but that's not a bad thing. Cuts the skeeter population! I do rather love our growing season.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.
snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net writes:

The weeds won't grow through it. However, as dirt collects in the rock/gravel, they will grow on top of it. The good part is that they are very easy to pull since their roots are only down to the fabric. I put it down around my rhodies after I lay a soaker hose, then bark dust on top of the fabric. I still get occasional weeds in there after three years of dust blowing in, however they easily pull up so I'm still happy about it. The weeds that do start seem mostly not to last. I suspect it's because the top doesn't get water during the summer so only the hardiest make it until the end of June. :-)
I suspect raking the bark dust would have also eliminated any weeds growing as it would expose their roots to the sun.
The good thing about is if I ever want to get rid of it, it will be only the two pieces I put down to remove, not the jillions of pieces of black plastic I had to clean out of the flower beds when I moved here!
Where we put it on the RV pad in the back has little vegetation. When I bought this house, that area was a 12-plus-foot high bunch of Himalayan blackberries. We used a backhoe to dig them out and also hauled off extra dirt to help ensure getting most of the roots. I then violated a basic belief of mine and we added casaron (?) to the area (the only poison ever in my yard), covered it with fabric, then the gravel. That was in 1999 and all is still in good shape, little vegetation and all the gravel still in place. However, it doesn't get a lot of traffic.<g>
This morning, I pulled up some fabric that I had covering the yard by the driveway that I didn't want to deal with. There were occasionally a series of roots that were growing all around trying to get through. It was actually quite funny. The weeds that were growing on the top there were already dried for lack of moisture so were easy to pull off with no root depth. Actually, it was a bit weird. LOL
Glenna
This has been an excellent example of a 'high-jacked' thread. What about Sarah and her tomato problem? There has been all kinds of advice for the driveway problems and next to nothing to help out Sarah.
Hobo
Glenna Rose wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com writes:

In the first few responses, it looked like it was pretty much decided there wasn't much to do since it appeared the Roundup was responsible for the tomato plants not growing problem.
Sorry, Hobo, perhaps we should have changed the thread name. ??? We are back-yard gardeners, not computer gurus. Actually, the thread changed quite logically if you look at the posts in order so I'm not sure at what point the subject line should have been changed. Perhaps you can give advice as to that. Apparently it didn't bother anyone enough to change the subject line. As I understand it, a "high-jacked" thread is one that was changed totally with no reference to the original or preceding (or text from the previous) with the intent of misrepresentation. That did not happen here; there was no intent to deceive or to use the thread for spam or other purposes.
Do you have a solution for Sarah? If so, please post it. It would be most appreciated.
Glenna (who uses a real email address)
Glenna Rose wrote:

Hi, Glenna
No, unfortunately I don't have a solution for Sarah. There are many knowledgeable people in this news group and I was hoping to find more info and advice regarding the use of herbicides in the vicinity of gardens. The threads today have been most enlightening with some good info provided.
I too am a back yard gardener. I have two plots each about thirty by fifty feet and I grow a wide variety of veggies and fruit. I try not to use herbicides and pesticides as much as possible but find that during the growing season they are sometimes needed and any info and opinions about their use is appreciated.
As far as high-jacked threads are concerned, it usually occurs quite innocently such as happened here. Instead of changing the thread name as you suggested, a better approach would have been to start a new thread. This way people who wanted to respond to Sarah's problem, or follow the thread to see what info had been provided, would be able to do so in a natural progression instead of hitting thread after thread about driveway weed problems. And, no Glenna, I don't consider myself a computer guru - just someone who gets frustrated sometimes when things like this happen.
As far as real email addresses are concerned, most people I know do not use them for usenet groups due to the potential spam problem. Having experienced this myself I have learned the hard way and take what steps I can to prevent it.
Anyway, thanks for your comments. Hope you have a good growing season.
Hobo jgalex at xplornet dot com