tomatoes in a cold climate

hi everyone, i am a new member so hello to all! this year i didn't d
tomatoes as i had a bad experience with blight a while back. however would like to try again and wondered if anyone could help with th following, how to control blight and as i am in a northern climate ca you suggest hardy varieties that would stand up to being grown outsid in a chillier climate! thanx iz
-- IZI
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

What northern climate?
There's real variability in northern climates.
phorbin;802599 In article snipped-for-privacy@gardenbanter.co.uk, IZI.2e87ae6
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...-
hi everyone, i am a new member so hello to all! this year i didn't do tomatoes as i had a bad experience with blight a while back. howeve i would like to try again and wondered if anyone could help with the following, how to control blight and as i am in a northern climat can you suggest hardy varieties that would stand up to being grow outside in a chillier climate! thanx izi-
What northern climate?
There's real variability in northern climates.
my mother lives in northern ontario, canada and the varities she has grown is early girl, better boy and beefsteak. for blight u might try putting a good layer of newspapers around th base of your tomato plants--not right up to the stalks though--then us a mulch of straw or whatever u might have on hand. good luck with your tomatoes. cyaaaaaaa, sockiescat:)
-- sockiescat

I recall reading that if the nighttime temperature falls below 45F, fruit will not set. Perhaps some of you guys can corroborate that.
IZI;802540 Wrote:

-- IZI

Tomatoes are warm/hot season plants, if it is too cold they just won't grow, although they won't fruit well if it is too hot I doubt that will be a problem.
Izi this is an international forum, I would guess most of us haven't been to Northern Ireland so how about filling in some details about the conditions.
How many months of summer do you get without any frost or freezing?
What would be the typical overnight minimum and daily maximum temperature during that period?
David