Tomatoes and Basil

In addition to the wonderful tabouli, here is another way to enjoy tomatoes:
Cut tomatoes into cubes or just plain bits, chop basil leaves, mince garlic, combine with olive oil, add a bit of salt (pepper if you want), and chill. Very refreshing. :-)
Glenna
snipped-for-privacy@pmug.org (Glenna Rose) wrote:

And then there is insalata caprice.
Layer slices of fresh tomato with whole fresh basil leaves and fresh mozarella cheese slices. Drizzle with vinagrette, chill and serve.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Yum. In Italy the caprese maker omits the vinegar and drizzles a little EVO on the dish. True heaven. And I leave in 10 days...ahhhh.

I envy you. :-)
I actually learned about that dish on alt.binaries.food.
I did not grow any veggies this year (just herbs and stuff) but I do plan to next year.
Grossery store tomatoes just don't cut it. I need to hit the Farmers Market before it gets to be too late in the year.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Tip: A grocery store tomato in front of each wheel will keep your car from rolling while you change a flat tire.

Go get 'em.

ROFL!!!
Indeed...
SO sweet and rich!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Slice French bread in half (length wise) and place under cut side up under broiler until toasted. Rub toasted bread with garlic. Drizzle toasted face with olive oil. Place a layer of basil leaves, then sliced tomato, and finally sprinkle with parmesan or romano cheese. Return, face up to broiler until cheese browns lightly. Slice into 3" to 4" pieces and serve.
--
FB - FFF

Billy

In article

Damn. You have me drooling. ;-) I've not had lunch yet and was too busy to eat breakfast. I've not eaten since about 2 am. (I work nights <g>)
Kinda like fresh pizza.
The only thing I'd add to the above is just a small amount of Marjoram. Similar flavor to Oregano but lighter, less bitter.
Mexican Oregano is similar to Marjoram, and I actually grow that.
Using fresh tomatoes and herbs in place of a cooked tomato sauce is seriously the gods...
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.
On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 22:52:15 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@pmug.org (Glenna Rose) wrote:

One way we like to serve home grown produce: Slice tomatoes about 3/8" thick, place in single layer on platter. Sprinkle on chopped fresh basil, finely diced red onion and a grind of black pepper. Enjoy. Don't try this with supermarket tomatoes, it won't work.
Ross.
snipped-for-privacy@forteinc.com wrote:

Then there are always fresh tomato sandwiches.
Tomatoes sliced at least 1/4" thick placed on fresh bread with a little salt and (for me) LOTS of Mayo.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.