Tomatoes

I have a tiny garden, actually one bush tomato in a 10 gallon pot. Well I'm fed up with the commercial tomatoes, year after year I get nothing! This year instead of an indeterminate I went with a bush. Getting rampant bottom rot, tomato turns black on bottom and works all the way up, I added calcium as in crushed up tums, I fertilize with special tomato fertilizer and have watered frequently. Its not too late to get another already started tomato, any suggestions!
I remember as a kid tomatoes were easy and always good. What the heck can I do! I want tomato this year!!!!!!
Next year I'm going back to Amish Heritage!!!!!!!
--
regards, piedmont ~ the practical bbq'r!

http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr /

This may clear up on its own, but that doesn't seem likely since you have a determinant tomato. Sounds like you're screwed. Being a determinant tomato, and that it's producing fruit, it is setting all the fruit that you are going to get now.
Do you have enough time to start another tomato? Is there a nursery near you where you could get a Stupice or an Early Girl?
Where are you?
Let's try and figure out where you jumped the tracks here.
What tomato are you growing? What is the potting soil? What kind of fertilizer did you use? Have you worked the soil in the pot since the tomato has been in it? How warm is it there? Does the pot itself get full sun (warmth of soil)? You're using 4" pine bark mulch in the pot? Blossom end rot can be caused by drought conditions, but it sounds as if you may be over-watering, which would lead to cracked skins like you had before.
Mistakes are costly, but they are more costly, if you can't learn from them.
--
- Billy
On Sat, 05 Jun 2010 12:44:01 -0700, Billy wrote:

How
Blossom end rot can be caused by drought

I wait until the soil feels dry then add 1 gallon.
from the get go, everyone has turned black.
Here is a picture of the pot/plant.

--
regards, piedmont ~ the practical bbq'r!

http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr /

My news server can handle pictures in this group, BUT none is included, and to get feed back from others you shoudl probably post the picture somewhere else, like alt.binaries.pictures.gardens.

--
- Billy
http://tinypic.com/m/af9g7m/3
regards, piedmont ~ the practical bbq'r!

http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr /

The pot looks like about 5 wide by 10 inches. A small pot. Small pots are harder to establish homeostasis which means they dry out or drown easier. Might be good for a protected house plant but Iีd place a 3X4 (4X8) raised bed on that nearest lawn sort of like a large window box. Guess you might manage some cherry tomatoes if you like challenges.
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?
Bill who putters wrote:

I've got a friend that is trying to grow some tomatoes (some are better bush) in 10" ~ 1 gallon on a sunny patio. I though this was way small from what I know about the root of a tomato. Is this doable if they are kept watered?
I'm not holding out much hope here, but her last garden spot was under a tree!
Jeff
Might be good for a protected house plant but Iีd place a 3X4

Think of it as a bonsai tomato, then when it gets root bound, bound feet will be the metaphor. Will be hard for it to stand too. Should get it some support.
--
- Billy
On Sat, 05 Jun 2010 18:38:17 -0400, Bill who putters wrote:

It;s over 5 gallon size, if you can see that it is more round than the tomato cage.
--
regards, piedmont ~ the practical bbq'r!

http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr /

It doesn't show enough and the picture is not in focus.
Take a closeup of the leaves, fruit and stem.
In addition to Billy's questions:
Is the pot you are using the one you've had previous tomatoes fail in?
On Sat, 05 Jun 2010 18:43:58 -0500, phorbin wrote:

OK< I'll try to get close ups and yes the same pot but I took half the soil out and added some new.
--

Close Up Pics here, http://tinypic.com/a/2391u/3
--
regards, piedmont ~ the practical bbq'r!

http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr /
On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 10:46:39 +0000, piedmont wrote:

The shoe in the pic is a size 12 and the pot is wider.
--
regards, piedmont ~ the practical bbq'r!

http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr /

Plant looks healthy. Don't see any browning of leaves, which have good color, but I can't make-out the tomatoes.
One more time, please. Maybe you have somethng that you could rest your camera on.
--
- Billy

"At least once a week, it is advisable to leach all the unused fertilizer out of the soil mix by watering with tap water. Add sufficient water to the container to cause free drainage from the bottom. This practice will prevent any buildup of injurious materials in the soil mix. Occasionally, it is a good idea to water with a nutrient solution containing minor elements. Use a water-soluble fertilizer containing iron, zinc, boron and manganese, and follow label directions."
Found in
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/extension/container/container.htmL
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?
On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 07:02:01 -0400, Bill who putters wrote:

I did this yesterday, flushed with about 2 gallons of water on a whim. Today I'm going to buy two different types of in determinants to plant in the earth hoping between the three I just might be able to enjoy a real tomato once again.
--
regards, piedmont ~ the practical bbq'r!

http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr /

To add my 2 cents worth: every year at start of season I add a handfull of ground limestone to my pots and have never had blossom end rot since. The calcium will not cure tomatoes already affected but next ones on plant should be OK. A couple of Tums may not have been enough. The 40 lbs. of limestone I bought years ago, cheaper than Tums, should last me for the rest of my life ;)

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/publications/tomatoproblemsolver/index.html
Good pictures and information here.
--
USA