Tomato worm

I have a hydroponic grower in front of my garage sitting on concrete. Today, I looked around there, and I see droppings of tomato horn worm. It surprised me because I go by there every day, and today was the first time I spotted it. Sitting on concrete, the droppings were very conspicuous.
I started to search, and as usual, it was difficult to spot. I happened to spot it end on. I thought it was a thick shoot and investigated it more closely. It was about the size of my entire ring finger.
How can they grow so fast? I once spotted one that had the diameter of a wood pencil. That is the smallest I had ever seen them.
Bill
On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 06:28:39 GMT, Repeating Decimal

They are related to either zucchini or pigeons, both of which very carefully hide their young until they are are of fully adult (or greater) size.