tomato vine borer

Anybody ever have tomato vine borees that bore holes into the tomato vine? These are small brownish worms things that look sort of like pickle worms except smaller and colored differently. Thay have infested at least two of my tomato vines. Should I try BT ? I have not used it this year on the tomatoes because there have not been any tomato worms. Thanks.
Pam Gibbs said:

That is, *before* the caterpillar has made its way into the fruit.

Thank you!
I have applied BT now but I doubt it will help at this point..
These worms are in the vine--like squash vine borers. They are not eating the leaves and they are not in the fruit. The have bored holes into the vines and are tunnelling their way downward toward the ground. They are in two of my creole tomato vines. I'm going to pull them up, bag them up, and call my county agent tomorrow. I've never seen anything like this on tomatoes before.

vines borers never. Let us know what your extention agent finds. And don't let those things leave the state!
Pam Gibbs said:

Must have still been half asleep. Missed the word 'vine' and just got 'tomato.'
I think you have stalk borers. Not effectively controlled by insecticides. Usual habitat is tall, grassy weeds but sometimes attacks potatoes, tomatoes and other garden plants. More likely to attack grains and corn.
Try slitting (or cutting back) the wilting stems to expose and destroy the borers.
http://www2.ncsu.edu/unity/lockers/project/pestmngt3/AG271/corn_sorghum/stalk_borer.html http://www.ipm.uiuc.edu/fieldcrops/insects/stalk_borer /