Tomato starts

Mine have been up for a few days , and I've noticed the leaves are kinda yellow . These are planted in potting/starter mix , new stuff . They spend most of the day outside when it's sunny and above 50° . I water when the soil getss dry about 1/8" deep , and the trays they're in have good drainage , so they're not in standing water . The pumpkins planted the same day are fine , as are the marigolds . I'm just wondering if this soil lacks something tomatoes need . It does have slow-release fertilizer in the mix .

Reply to
Snag

Tomatoes don't really do much (provided full sun & adequate water) until the soil temp hits 60F (16C).

Reply to
Billy

These trays are inside the house except when they are out on the front porch in the sun ... soil temp should be well above 60° . I'm just wondering why the leaves are so yellow - these are the first pair of leaves . Other than the color they seem to be doing quite well .

Reply to
Snag

Sunshine, and 60F temps simultaneously, or lack of nitrogen.

Reply to
Billy

Just curious, first true leaves? If your plants are at the stage of needing more nutrients you might try looking into your "slow-release fertilizer in the mix" at this stage. Doesn't sound like a low threshold photosynthesis issue. Do you know how/or when the nutrients in your mix release? There are as many =93slow release=94; =93controlled release=94, or some such =93coate= d=94, usually formulae as there are companies making them. They release their nutrient(s) in different ways, some at different temps and not all contain micro-nutrients. There is no one-size-fits-all fertilizer. If you do not know about using controlled-release (CRF) and slow- release (SRF) fertilizers you could start with this article and maybe a few of the side bars from it, perhaps research the specific brand used in your mix:

Gunner

You're over my head ... these are the very first pair of leaves outta the seed , and they're looking better now . First true leaves are just now beginning to form .

that's supposed to be good for about 3 months , I have no idea what it actually contains or how/when the nutrients are released . -- Snag Learning keeps you young !

Reply to
Snag