Tomato Question

I have a few tomatoes that have "crackeled" skin. What would cause this? Is doesn't seem to bother the inside. I just can't figure out what could cause it.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Uneven watering

They were in hydroponics and of 6 or 7 tomatoes only 1 was like that on the same plant

Not splitting crackeling like a hard boiled egg ish
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

The ref to eggs confuses me, do you mean like a crackle finish on paint? How about a photo? If something is altering the texture of the skin from the usual smooth plump bag (but not causing splits in the fruit) it could be a fungus getting started.

Kinda like paint yes. Not talented enough to send a photo. If it is a fungus what should I look for? The inside seems fine

A bit more of the basic interrogratives would help if you can't post a pic. What type system? Lighting? What nutrients did you use and what is your present pH and EC or PPM?
Uneven watering is not usually a problem w/ a hydro system nor does it sound like a fungus either because a hydro system is usually on the all inclusive plan. Most likely an nutrient imbalance which could be caused by many reasons. You never said what color the crackling was. Whiteish? A tan or paper bag brown perhaps?
Could be russetting or an anther scar. Still its cosmetic and should not be a concern. Regardless, unless your real close to final harvest, change out your solution and balance your pH back in range. After you harvest this crop, thoroughly clean your system and your growing media before starting up again.
good luck
In article

--

Billy

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in
In article

Rain.
--

Billy

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

you opened the door to the greenhouse the day the fruit first set and so the garden gnomes decreed that you would get one crackly fruit to puzzle your furrowed brow.
no, i really don't know, it could have been that that particular stem was plugged at the early stage of the growth and then the stem was moved and that opened up new channels for fluids to flow and thus cracked the skin.
but without knowing exactly how the plant was treated i couldn't be sure of a thing as to why.
sometimes we eat it, say thanks, try to keep our eyes peeled and noodles engaged and try to not squat on a garden gnome.
songbird

That makes sense to me
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com said:

OK, as you mentioned these were hydroponic, strike the uneven water supply.
Was the cracked tomato more sun exposed? Sunscald or damage due to uneven heating might explain what happened.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."
http://www.plantprotection.hu/modulok/angol/tomato/index.htm
left side ....click on the disorders, pathology etc

EUREKA, it is Russeting !!!
Makes sense since the green house temperature had not been real consistant this fall and this particular plant was closest to the door. Very cool to know, thanks for the link ! MJ