Tomato Problem ID

Here's a picture:

spots all over, the tomato feels slightly sticky. THere are little (1/4 inch) amber colored insects on the plants with two small black dots that run on thier backs near the tail.

What are they, what do I use to kill them, and how do I keep them away?

I'm not averse to chemicals.

Thanks in advance,

Jay

Reply to
FriscoSoxFan

Based upon intenet searches, they are definietly not stinkbugs or aphids. I wish the macro lens on my digital was better. My film SLR would get it, but I'm too lazy to burn a roll!

Oh, I don't know what zone, but I'm in Dallas. My cherry tomatos don't seem to have this problem.

Reply to
FriscoSoxFan

Pyrethrins are low impact but effective. No residual effect.

John!

FriscoSoxFan wrote:

Reply to
GA Pinhead

Stinkbugs or a derivative. Some liquid sevin should help to ward them off.

Reply to
kurtk

This looks like the damage of some sort of true bug (Hemiptera), possibly the tarnished plant bug or a close relative.

and earlyspring cleanup of host plants/sheltering areas is considered vital. (Well, too late for that now, but important later.)

Pyrethroid-type insecticides recommended as the first choice (this is a non-selective insecticide and will wipe out beneficials as well as the pest). Sabadilla is a often recommended for 'true bug' control but may be hard to find. Soap sprays may offer some control. This site recommends some pesticides, but most of them sound like restricted use types:

Pat Kiewicz