tomato plant project

Hello all. I am doing a tomato plant project for school and I was wondering whether anyone could give me information on what type of soil tomatos should grow in. We have the choice of sand, mulch, or loam. Hope anyone can help me. Thanx so much!

-- Hatsheput

------------------------------------------------------------------------ posted via

Hatsheput

Loam is best. Tomatoes will grow on sand, if fed and watered correctly, but loam is best.

Mulch is *not* soil, by the way, but is something you put

*on top of the soil* - hay, straw, wood chips or a variety of other materials.

I believe the three main classifications of soil are:

sand clay loam

Pat

Reply to
spamtrap

Not exactly classes of "soil," but soil *types*. Neither sand nor mulch is a proper growing medium. Clay is often nutritious for plants, but less than ideal because lacking organic material to even out water distribution and aerobic benefits. Growing tomatoes in pure sand would, I believe, be possible in a hydroponic sense -- that is, using the sand to anchor the roots and applying nutrients generously to nourish the plant. Orchids grow in/on mulch, but again, with added nutrients. Loam is the pretty much the ideal growing medium, being composed of plain ol' dirt, clay, and organic matter.

Reply to
Frogleg