tomato leaves eaten....

Page 4 of 5

I just heard of another type of rat killing device, it's like a bug zapper only for rodents; you put it in a piece of sewer pipe. Person who told me about it said it works really well, but didn't know where to get one.

Problem is, when you can only catch the dumb ones, it lets the smart ones breed :(
~REZ~
il Wed, 12 May 2004 00:39:44 -0500, Katra ha scritto:

Just remember to have enough room so the trap can flick it's arm (or whatevver it's called)
--
Cheers,

I know what you mean. :-)
K.
--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

That's why I mentioned the gopher traps, they don't need anywhere near as much room.
~REZ~

That sounds like a good idea. You might try the pinch traps for gophers with a bait that take some work to get (to make sure the trap is triggered), and put it inside a piece of 4" sewer pipe -- it's cheap, durable, yet easy to cut (try a heavy old serrated knife, the kind they advertise as being able to cut frozen stuff and tin cans).
~REZ~
snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (Rez) wrote:

I'm going to have to look in to gopher traps... The rats have dug a series of tunnels under the rocks in the dog kennel. :-( I can't really get to them without tearing out the rocks and they will just all run away.
I could put gopher traps at the entrances of the burrows! <eg> I never thought of that.
Thanks! :-)
Those are also less likely to catch pigeons if I choose to use them out in the open.
K.
--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Alternatively, you could get a couple of ducks. They LOVE tomato hornworms and will fight each other over hornworms. Other birds will sometimes eat the small hornworms, but often turn up their noses(beaks?) at large ones, but ducks will practically kill each other for hornworms, no matter how big the hornworms get.
il Mon, 10 May 2004 16:10:42 GMT, don' snipped-for-privacy@there.com (The Watcher) ha scritto:

Now there's a opportunity for someone. Hiring out gardening ducks for a day and night. :-)
--
Cheers,

If it's a big critter, sevin will be totally ineffective.
On the other hand, an electric fence will work well.
Ray
As mentioned, the dreaded tomato hornworm. They won't kill the plant if found soon but they sure make it look ugly fast. Look in the area of the damage and it'll be closeby, usually hanging upside down under a leaf or along a stem. Cut off the leaf below where the critter is and dump them both, or pick them off with needle nose pliers. Only problem there is they usually have a good grip on the stem, so best to cut it. I've done this for years and not lost a plant yet.
Now for the real question, where oh where do they come from and go to?
Craig wrote:

<jsdebooATcomcast.net> says...

"false hummer". If you've ever seen one hover over a blossom, you'll know why.
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

snipped-for-privacy@centurytel.net writes:

PVC is available in just about any size you want. It's what is used for water lines in most areas, from 1/4-inch to several feet. Decide what size you want, then contact a plumbing supply store. If you have a United Pipe & Supply in your area, they will have it for certain.
Another source would be a utilities contractor; perhaps you could get a scrap or two. Trust me, they have bunches of scraps in various lengths and diameters (diameter depends on the particular job). You might even contact your local water department to get some ideas where to find some.
Another use for PVC pipe scraps and joints (tees) is cat climbers though the tees and wyes in 8-inch or 10-inch size are rather expensive. The straight pipe isn't too bad for price, but scraps would be better if you can get them free.
Glenna
snipped-for-privacy@pmug.org (Glenna Rose) wrote:

Thanks. :-) I'll check the local home stores first, then go from there. This does give me some ideas! The rats are getting seriously out of hand. :-( Nasty little beasts!

Hee! I have been putting in more cat furniture. I need to hit some construction sites for scraps.
There is a local govt. contract recycler, and we got some burlap covered room dividers from him for $5.00 each. Giant scratching posts and climbers. Those are out on the sun porch and the cats are slowly destroying them, but it's well worth it for that price. :-)
K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

snipped-for-privacy@centurytel.net writes:

Non-pest birds, also. LOL
A friend who loves her birds put a very realistic owl in her garden to keep away pest birds. It was weeks before she realized why her song birds weren't coming to the feeders. Shortly after she removed the owl, her song birds returned to the feeders.
Glenna
snipped-for-privacy@pmug.org (Glenna Rose) wrote:

Placement is important... :-) I breed pigeons for meat, so I don't want to scare off my breeding stock! <G>
Owl decoys just go into the garden area, not anywhere near the gourd bird houses. I've been getting good occupation of those by house wrens, and those are death on garden bugs!
K.
--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

<g> When I keep pigeons (for dog training), every day when I feed them I sing "Poisoning Pigeons in the Park" to remind them how lucky they are to be cage pigeons, and not park pigeons :) I've had one reach 14 years old!!
~REZ~
snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (Rez) wrote:

That's mean! <lol>
I love my pigeons, and not just for lunch. Mine are free-range.
K.
--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Thank you :)

I like pigeons, they're cool birds. We have a few dove here but no pigeons. I've thought about starting a colony, at least once I get the shop building closed off enough that they don't decide to live in there!
Being lazy, I usually feed my pigeons and chickens (when I have 'em, none right now) dog food, same as the dogs eat. Aside from really good eggshells (yes, even tho they are thick, the chicks have no trouble getting out) the birds get so they won't eat regular bird food unless they're starving. In fact when I toss 'em grain, they'll get all excited the way birds do, rush over to the feed -- stop short and look at me like "What's this crap? What are you trying to push on us??!"
~REZ~
snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (Rez) wrote:

<snicker>
Yeah, they will nest anywhere that provides convenient shelving, and it can get rather poopy.

That sounds expensive! Sure won't hurt them tho'. Chicken and pigeon feed is about $7.00 for 50 lbs. Dog food is twice that...
Most of my pigeons eat pretty much for free since they fly free, but they do gather around for the morning scratch feedings in the henyard.

Hee! ;-) I don't blame them. Dog food is higher in protien!
K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

It already does with just sparrows nesting in there.

But they eat half as much of it, and they do better. My 14 year old pigeon was like a young bird and was fixin' to break the world record (18 yrs; lost him cuz one of the dogs got out and got into the cage :( and I had yard chickens that made it to 12 years old!

Why turn down free meals? :)

And apparently far more appealing!
~REZ~