Tomato leaves curling... what's wrong?

I have several tomato plants growing in pots on our deck, in south east PA. One of the tomatoes is being grown in a 5 gallon plastic container. It was a chlorine container which was thoroughly washed several times, with numerous holes drilled in the bottom.

The plant is about 3 1/2 feet tall and is starting to produce a few tomatoes.

The problem: The leaves are beginning to curl, especially on the bottom half of the plant.

We've had plenty of rain (3" in the last week). Also I give it a good watering from the hose every few days. I have used potting soil with the time release fertilizer.

What could be the problem?

Please respond to my e-mail address as well. snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Thanks in advance for your help. Jim

Reply to
JTULL5

If the plants seem otherwise green and healthy, I would put this down to physiological leaf roll. Some tomato varieties have and inherited characteristic (the wilty gene) which makes the leaves tend to roll. This occurs on the older leaves typically after the plants begin bearing fruit.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

==========

In NE Florida we have had so much "summer" already that the tomatoes were really a total loss this year. They are small, Very acidic, not at all sweet, not even usable for fried green. Same varieties, same treatment as always. I suppose they will make good compost! Next year will be better, I'm sure.

After getting a new computer and losing All my programs(!), I'm finally back following all the encouraging info this NG offers. TKS to all.

-- Scot03 ==========

Reply to
Scot

In our last fun filled episode, 21 Jun 2004 04:22:07 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (JTULL5) proclaimed:

Aaaaaeeeeeiiiii!

Leaves that curl up are the first warning of thrips. While plants can survive a little thrip damage, most vanities can't survive their Weapon of Mass Destruction, Tomato Spotted Wilt Virus, however.

Thrips are almost too small to see. but if you put an infected leaf in some alcohol and shake it, you can gleefully watch their bodies float away from the leaf.

You don't say where you are, but thrips have been an especially bad problem in the Southeast for the last few years.

Penelope

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle