Tomato emergency........ please help!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 3
I set my tomatoes out a little over a week ago. Some already had flower clusters. The neighbor sprayed the fence row a few days later with Round-Up and now our tomatoe's new growth is all distorted from the drift. Will they recover and produce fruit or will they remained deformed and not bear? Please, does anyone know? Should I replace them or will they recover?

Only time will tell.
I'd plan on replacing them, and keep them away from the property line this time. :-(

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

Thank you for replying. I wish I had somewhere else to move the garden but no other sunny spots exist. On the other side of us the owners spray their gravel driveway to keep it clean looking. We've gotten the drift from them a few times, but not on our tomatoes. Tomatoes must be very sensitive as the peppers and okra are unaffected.

Time to put up a barrier? :-)

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

I wish! A nice 8' tall fence on both sides would be nice.

Mine is 7ft. <g> 12" stone and 6' wood.
They deliberately killed my grape vines... I'm trying to come up with a good fence vine that is roundup resistant.

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

Maybe the Dept. Of Ag where you live can suggest something resistant to RoundUp.

Local extension office...
Good idea, thanks!

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

They've come through for me a few times. ;-)

They seem to be delighted to help. They've even mailed me information on specific plantings when I wanted to do more landscaping with local plants to conserve on water.
I've put in a few Lantana for a start. I really like their blooms and leaves.
--
Peace! Om

'Omelet[_4_ Wrote:

I'm afraid your tomatoes are doomed. Glyphosate (Roundup) Is relatively slow acting systemic herbicide. Even if by some miracle the do survive I doubt they will thrive, even after a sniff of the stuff Replant now is my advice.
Pete
50 years an arable farme
-- FunkyM8

Ask your neighbor to replace the plants. Roundup is quite short-lived, so if the plants survive at all they may well recover.

I don't want to get on their bad side over a few dollars. They're trying to clean up a messy weed strewn yard left by the old owners of their property. The plants still look healthy and are a nice green color. Just the newest growth is deformed and curled. We're sick over this.

Don't just sit there and stew. Ask your neighbors to be careful with their spraying, because you have put in a lot of effort you don't want it to affect your garden, especially with food prices spiraling upwards.. If they continue, you'll know what their attitude about you is. If they ask about their spraying, be sure to let them know, as matter of factly as you can, about the correlation between their spraying and the damage to your tomatoes.
When your tomatoes come in, be sure to offer a few to your neighbors;-)
http://100777.com/node/1687 and www.westernmassafsc.org/colombia/SprayReport.pdf
The last one, at first glance, may not seem relevant but give it a good perusal.
--

Billy

I believe roundup is a systemic herbicide. If your plants were healthy to begin with, you could take a few and try removing the new growth - pinch back. Kind of like sucking the venom from a snakebite (OK, I think that's just Hollywood, but the principle is the same). Only if you leave it go, you're too late. The stuff works it's way to the roots and then kills the plant.
Or maybe there was something else going on, and they wilted from too much sun, just coincidence re: neighbors. I do know one thing, if I had even slightly misted my 'mater plants with roundup, they'd be dead. Karma is a real.. you know.
That's why I'm graduating to a flamer this year. Could be fun if I don't blow myself up.
Flame on!
In article

I've considered one of those! Where do you get them? Are they legal everywhere?

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

Om, you get them at the hardware store. They're called a "weed burner." You use propane to fuel them. They're kind of expensive.
We use them for everything but flame killing weeds here...
Mostly the SO uses ours (we have several) to pre-heat our diesel farm tractors and bulldozers in the winter, so they'll start. It's not a trick for the faint of heart, as the oil & grease on heavy equipment will light on fire readily, so you have to be prepared to put the fire out.
I have used our weed burner to burn the dried weeds/grass off a garden plot in the spring. Timing is critical -- it's got to be exactly the day the grass dries out enough to burn, but before the whole neighborhood is dried-out, so I don't start a forest fire.
We have a big hemp nettle infestation down on the ranch, but I was told to not flame kill it. It's in the loafing area where our cows hang out all winter, so the soil is real heavy in organics, which will catch fire like crazy, once it dries out.
Jan
snipped-for-privacy@xyz.net says...

Have a look...
http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=1&pG306&cat=2,2300,44822 &ap=1
You'll need to fix the url.

Sometimes doing <this> to a URL will help:
<http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=1&pG306&cat=2,2300,44822&a p=1>
Thanks! :-)
--
Peace! Om

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

Does it work on your newsreader?
It doesn't on mine.
Mine has a "fix url" option which does the trick.