Tomato disaster

My plants are all dying, apparently I'm not alone the whole New England crop is being wiped out by Irish potato famine fungus.
http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2009/07/31/disease_that_spawned_irelands_potato_famine_hits_new_england /
On 31 Jul 2009 15:04:18 GMT, General Schvantzkoph

I'm sorry to hear that. i had over 100 tomato plants succumb to blight one year. I was able to keep some going and don't know if it was my efforts or that a few plants were stronger. I used a strong garlic based infusion to feed the tomatoes with, along with other herbs like yarrow and comfrey.
i don't know if it's the same blight, but certain ones will stay in the soil for several years. :(
Kate
On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 10:22:39 -0500, kate wrote:

disease_that_spawned_irelands_potato_famine_hits_new_england/
Has anyone had any experience with blight resistant varieties? Oregon State claims to have developed a variety called Legend that is late blight resistant. Is it available to the public yet?

    Yes; much has been written on the subject. One source even went so far as to imply that producers of "Bonnie" branded vegetable sets, often sold in handy-homeowner garden departments, were the culprits. However, it is equally likely that improper handling, watering, protection from elements were all major contributors. Experiments in Ireland have demonstrated that, because the "fungus" is wind/rain-borne, protection from wind can substantially reduce risks of infection. This site: http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/cropprot/lateblighthg.htm offers much general information plus ten specific tips for inhibiting/controlling infections. It is not specific to BC. Informative photos here: http://www.hort.cornell.edu/department/Facilities/lihrec/vegpath/photos/lateblight_tomato.htm