Tomato brownish ends NOT BLOSSOM END ROT

Hello All,

My tomatoes may be having a problem with something that looks similar to blossom end rot. On the blossom end, even when the tomato is small, the skin turns a brownish color, but never rots. The tomato stays firm. I'm not sure what the tomatoes looks like inside since they're not ripe yet. This has happened on about 50% of the tomatoes on one plant and one or two on another plant.

I don't think this is blossom end rot because the tomatoes are still firm and I shouldn't have calcium problems. (the water I have is FULL of lime) I fertilize with MiracleGro Tomato Food and water very regularly since the plants are potted. What could the problem be? Or maybe is this not a problem, just discoloration?

Thanks, Dan

Reply to
Dan

Blossom end 'rot' isn't always a soft rot. And while it is symptomatic of a problem with calcium metabolism in the fruit, it usually occurs as a result of water stress. (Sometimes, despite watering and mulching, some plants get water-stressed -- in my garden mole tunneling cac sometimes can be blamed for that.)

These tomatoes might ripen normally, with a small bit at the bottom to discard. But some of them might develop a small bit of black rot inside when they ripen. I always check my plum tomatoes very carefully when processing them for sauce. Even the smalled brown or silvery spot at the end might conceal more damage inside. A little trim with a knife determines if they are usable or not.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

I've got something similar and it looks like some kind of scarring to me. This is the first year I've got healthy beefsteaks growing and where the beig ones have pressed against eachother, the cage or a think stem there is some of this "scarring". It is grayish brown and rough--not soft at all. But a few have irregular patches of the stuff at the blossom end. They are begining to ripen so in the next week or two I should get a chance to see inside.

I do think I was underwatering this patch at one point--so that may be a result.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email) Zone 6b/7, Westchester Co, NY,

Reply to
DigitalVinyl