Tomatillo Recipes - 1 Pasta Sauce & 2 Salsa Verde

I love this sauce! It's so flavourful and zesty that a little goes a long way. The Salsa recipes are yummy too. Enjoy!

Ether

-------

Tomatillo Pasta Sauce

2 tbsp olive oil 1 onion, peeled, finely choppped 4 cups tomatillos coarsely chopped 1 rounded tsp ground cumin or more to taste 1 rounded tsp ground coriander or more to taste 1 seeded jalapeno or cayenne pepper, finely chopped salt & black pepper to taste pinch of sugar 4 cloves garlic chopped 2 green onions thinly sliced 3/4 cup chopped fresh coriander or Italian parsley 2 tbsp olive oil (optional)

Heat oil in large saucepan, add onion and sauté over medium heat until softened. Add tomatillos, cumin and coriander. Simmer over low heat until tomatillos break down a bit and sauce thickens - about 30 minutes. Add hot pepper, cook a few minutes longer. Add salt, black pepper and sugar. Remove from heat. Stir in chopped garlic, green onions and coriander or parsley. Top with olive oil and serve over hot pasta. Makes enough for 1 lb of pasta, or 4 to 6 servings.

Good with grilled garlic lemon shrimp. Freezes well.

I've doubled and even tripled this recipes and it cooks up just fine.

-------------------

Tomatillo Green Salsa for canning:

5 cups chopped tomatillos 1 1/2 cups seeded, chopped long green chiles 1/2 cup seeded, finely chopped jalapeno peppers 4 cups chopped onions 1 cup bottled lemon juice 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tablespoon ground cumin* 3 tablespoons oregano leaves* 1 tablespoon salt 1 teaspoon black pepper

Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan and stir frequently over high heat until mixture begins to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for

2O minutes, stirring occasionally. Ladle hot into pint jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Adjust lids and process in a boiling water canner 15 minutes at 0-1,000 feet altitude; 20 minutes at 1,001-6,000 feet; 25 minutes above 6,000 feet.

Yield: 5 pints

The USDA document specifies that the quantity of vegetables must be exact (for safety in water-bath canning), but that you can modify the spices* used.

It is not very hot but has excellent flavor. To make it hotter decrease the amount of mild chilies and increase the amount of hot chilies, but DO NOT CHANGE the total amount of peppers. Green tomatoes and tomatillos can be interchanged in any salsa recipe.

--------------------

Salsa de Tomate Verde (Cruda) - Uncooked Yields 1 Cup

1/2 Lb Tomatillos 1/3 Cup Water, Cold 1 Clove Garlic, Peeled 2 Tbls White Onion, Chopped 4 Chiles Serranos, Chopped 2 Tbls Coriander, Chopped Salt

Remove the paper husks from the tomatillos. Rinse thoroughly. Chop coarsely. Add the tomatillos to the blender along with the garlic, chiles, salt and water. Pulse until the ingredients are chopped finely but not blended. Stir in the onion and coriander. Serve slightly warmed.

--------------------

Reply to
EV

Thanks very much!

I'm trying the salsa verde so I can decide whether I want to grow tomatillos next year: if we don't like them, then there's not much point in growing them.

Pat

Reply to
spamtrap

Thanks for posting these! Yum :)