Tomatillo question

Hi All,

I was thinking of growing some Amarylla Tomatillos:

Question: if I also plant some purple Tomatillos from the local nursery, will the cross pollination between the two be a problem? Will I wind up with a bunch of weird fruit?

Many thanks,

-T

Seems to me that the fruit will be normal, but if I harvest the seeds, the next generation may be a little weird. Am I incorrect?

T wrote: ...

why would it matter? it will likely still be a tomatillo and edible. as we say around here, it all comes out brown anyways...

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Yep. The fruit is entirely the product of the mother. Fruit is not the offspring. Seed is the offspring. Fruit is packaging.

I was going to draw analogy, but animals (mamals, at least) don't seem to have anything that is analogous to fruit.

Reply to
Drew Lawson

EWWW!

Because the different varieties taste different.

Thank you!

T wrote: ...

if you want to keep the seed lines apart you'd need to not plant them close together but even then if there are bees about it may not keep things apart enough over the long term. might depend upon what the neighbors plant too.

another method is to plant one kind one year and the other kind the next and then you have your seed supply for a few years after that which is separated and you can then plant a mixed garden and not use any of those seeds for the following year.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

There could be a problem there. It seems (to me at least)that tomatillos once planted seem to apear year after year.

Reply to
Steve Peek

Hi Steve,

I have a Black Thumb. This wont' be a problem! :-)

-T

We tried growing tomatillos and didn't love them enough to continue with them.

We last planted tomatillos 10 years ago.

We've had tomatillos come up every year, since then.

hardiness zone 5.

Reply to
phorbin

You may have to move to get away from them. We had that problem with New Zealand spinach.

There is a seed at every leaf node and will all germinate in zones 8 thru 9, don't know about colder as I don't like to be in temps last than

75F. The stuff does taste good will grow in any warm weather, it just eventually becomes a PITA.
Reply to
George Shirley

I could kills those too! All I;d have to do is look at them!!!! :'(

Hi Phorbin,

I am a drug free T2 Diabetic. When you switch over from burning carbs to burning fats and your satiation switch resets, your sense of taste returns. (I use to think that my lose of taste was just "old age sucks"). I can (now) taste so many nuances in a tomatillo that my eyes roll in my head.

This year I am trying to grow purple ones and Amarillo (Polish) ones. But my black thumb will probably get in the way.

I wish they keep coming up!

-T

Before Drug Free T2, I use to think Tomatillos were just gross. I also use to think pepper was just hot.

The above doesn't apply to store bought produce. This goes to my theory as to why folks don't eat (more) produce. It is because it tastes like crap.