tomatillo potting question

Hi All,
It is about time for me to grow seeds in those little peat moss pots. I usually plant three seeds per pot. Then when I transfer to the garden, I wait to see who deals with the shock the best and it cut off the rest.
Now Tomatillo need to be planted in pairs (or more) as they won't self pollinate.
So, I was wondering, how about just leaving all three in the pot? Are they too close together? Sprout them in a wider pot perhaps? Is so, how far apart?
You guys thoughts?
Many thanks, -T

Too close. I give each plant 2-3 feet (4-9 square feet), and they use it. A bit of ruthless (or a bit of plant only one seed and accept that some pots won't have a plant) pays off down the road.
On 05/07/2016 03:21 PM, Ecnerwal wrote:

Hi Ecnerwal,
Thank you! I am slowly learning.
I had been planting then about a 8 inches apart. I will spread the out more this time.
I forgot, do you use trellises with your?
-T
T wrote:

I'm not Ecnerwal , but I do support my tomatoes . I use a cage made from 6x6" concrete reinforcing wire . About 2 feet diameter and 5 feet tall , and tomatoes often grow over the top and drape to the outside . Those same cages (or the shorter ones made from the same re-wire) work well for cucumbers , field peas , and pole beans .
--
Snag

On 05/07/2016 07:40 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

I have seen tomatoes done with and without cages. I personally use cages.
Tomatillos go all over the place, so I was thinking of just giving up on the cages.

I normally put the tomatillos in tomato cages. I prefer them upright rather than laying on the ground. The type Snag/Terry descibes are better than the commercial type, IMPE, though I have been using the standard ones lately (used to have the re-mesh type when I grew up, have not rounded the tuit to make a set.)
If 8" is even close to working you may have drastically different tomatillos than I grow...
On 05/09/2016 07:55 AM, Ecnerwal wrote:

Thank you!