Time to repot tomatoes?

Last year my tomatoes were over 2 feet tall before they started flowering.

Somebody told me not to repot from 4 inch to their final place until they start to flower, but I can't find any info on this on the web. In fact, all I can find is the discussion as to whether or not to remove the first flowers.

Can anybody clarify the situation?

Reply to
BigKev

That sounds like bad advice to me. The plants probably will start to flower from the stress of being potbound, but they'll also be stunted. Then you plant them in the ground and while they are trying to grow out of it, they have the added stress of carrying a few little 'maters.

That can't be good for the total harvest, even if it bumps it up a week.

-Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

if they flower too early you will get a few big tomotoes on a tiny small bush

Reply to
fsadfa

I doubt that. In the right situation they just power on making more flowers and fruit regardless of age of first flower.

David Hare-Scott

I meant if the flower sets fruit too early you will get a few big tomatoes on a tiny bush, all the energy goes toward making the tomatoe, not growing the plant, and a small plant can't spare the energy to do both. I snip off early fruit if the plant is too small, unless it's a cherry variety. Once a plant gets to a certain size, it can power doing both as you say.

If you in a whose got a bigger tomatoe plant contest, just snip all the flowers off and see what happens!

Reply to
fsadfa