Tiller?

Have to try that. But my 100 Proof gets make into Lemoncello. I've need thinking to get a little still ....just for medicinal purposes, of course.

Love to eat em, but still very, very leery of picking em wild and I don't hike the woods as well as I used to plus wild pickers have been known to rob & shoot each other here over a good chanterelles patch.

Perhaps you can help me ID this one below: In my neighbor's Doug fir chip mulch, came up last year also. The nickle is a size reference:

Did ya hunt the wild ginseng back in the day? There is some big $$$$$ in that crop these days.

Reply to
Gunner

Have to try that. But my 100 Proof gets make into Lemoncello. I've need thinking to get a little still ....just for medicinal purposes, of course.

Be very careful & tell no one, the revenuers are still about. They busted a fairly big operation east of me a couple of months ago.

Love to eat em, but still very, very leery of picking em wild and I don't hike the woods as well as I used to plus wild pickers have been known to rob & shoot each other here over a good chanterelles patch.

We don't really have market pickers here. A few folks sell to the resturants, but it's not an issue here. We have tremendous numbers of species, but no huge patches of anything.

Perhaps you can help me ID this one below: In my neighbor's Doug fir chip mulch, came up last year also. The nickle is a size reference:

's one I'm not familiar with. There are many west coast species that don't occur in the east. I'll hazard a guess though. I'm about 99% sure the genus is Pluteus, species is a bit more iffy maybe atromarginatus. If you can get a spore print (cut off the stem and lay the cap on a white sheet of paper for a few hours) check the color. I suspect the color will be pink (this is very subjective, think the flesh colored crayola). If so there are only two genus (genii?) to chose from Pluteus of Volvariella. They are closely related and I know of no poisonous species in either genus. Dear God, please don't eat them based on a half-assed ID from an online photo!

Did ya hunt the wild ginseng back in the day? There is some big $$$$$ in that crop these days.

Yes sir, I used to dig enough to pay the winter heat bill and buy a little Christmas cheer!

Reply to
Steve Peek

You need not worry that one......I don't even trust billy... nor his other brothers bill and llib ;)

but thanks for the lead,.... haven't got a good lead from the local s'room folk here either, something about a trip they were on and they would get back to me whenever.

Seriously now, maybe Pluteus cervinus? My wife says no guts.. no glory, but I also caught her talking to the money guy on the phone the other day about a good sum of money she might be able to get her hands on. humm....

You stay in touch Steve Peek.

Reply to
Gunner

You need not worry that one......I don't even trust billy... nor his other brothers bill and llib ;)

but thanks for the lead,.... haven't got a good lead from the local s'room folk here either, something about a trip they were on and they would get back to me whenever.

Seriously now, maybe Pluteus cervinus? My wife says no guts.. no glory, but I also caught her talking to the money guy on the phone the other day about a good sum of money she might be able to get her hands on. humm....

You stay in touch Steve Peek.

Remember you are on the other side of the world from me. IMHO they are way too dark to be cervinus. Here they are tan to fawn in color, that's the reason for my other suggestion. In my collection of mushroom books I have a cookbook from the Puget Sound Mycological Society. I'd say they would be good folks to look up. Don't sign up for any new life insurance. Steve (paranoid retired insurance adjuster)

Reply to
Steve Peek