Ticks in my garden?

The other day I noticed tiny spider like creatures crawling ALL over my stone edging in my garden. They were red. After looking up ticks today (for a different reason), I'm thinking maybe they are baby ticks. They are the size of the head of a needle. Very TINY.
Could they be anything else?
Sam wrote:

I rather doubt that they were ticks...Most likely..Spider mites. HTH, EJ in NJ
Thanks! They definitely could be spider mites!

Also it said that they like moisture. It's been raining here for 2 weeks straight! I'm having issues w/ slugs too. And the beer cups ain't working! Oh well. Hopefully it will dry up soon!
In article <1bf6adcc-9f9f-4a03-90aa-59dcf2be6050

How about something like thid:
http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=1&p=51241&cat=2,51555

You can do night patrols, set up traps, buy 'em beer, corner the market on copper but if you just want to get rid of them and not have your plants shredded, you want iron phosphate (ferric phosphate actually but that seems to scare people off). It is sold as SLUGGO, Home Despot has an in house version and I'm sure that other large hardware chains have it too. It is a bait. It poisons the slug. I'm not proud to use it but I am able to protect my plants from marauding gangs of gastropods. It is safe for everything (pets, birds, kids, can be used the day before harvest), except slug and snails.
http://www.tulsaschools.org/employees/tr/sci/MSDS/DtSheets/MSDS_F/FF140.p df Ferric Phosphate is used as a nutrient and/or dietary supplement food additive. Also used as a trace mineral added to animal feeds.
--

- Billy

Boxelder bugs? The babies are tiny....
http://www.insectidentification.org/imgs/insects/boxelder-bug_2.jpg