this fall has been pretty nice so far

i cannot complain in the slightest. :)

we are in for a change though from Friday's forecast high of nearly 70F to a high of 37F on Sunday.

in the gardens news, i've been working on the 2nd to the last garden to have ready for winter. friends brought over a load of goodies yesterday so i also had to get those either used on the strawberries or buried in the garden. but today at least i almost finished one edge of it (removing plants growing there that keep spreading into the garden). all those plants and the weeds on the surface all get scraped and tossed into a nice hole where they can feed the worms for the next few years.

found a nice big fat healthy night-crawler and was glad it was not injured so i put it in a nice new spot and hope it can find a good home there. plenty of goodies a few feet down for it to burrow into. when i first started gardening here there were no night-crawlers at all and worms were not around in large numbers. today's moving of dirt found many more and evidence of worm tunnels well down into the subsoil/clay. all good to see as it means the methods are accomplishing what i'd like.

after a bit of work tomorrow i can call this garden done for this season (leaving the other edge for next year -- that will be a major project to clear that up).

Friday i hope i can get the last garden taken care of.

when i was doing my math earlier in the week i was happy to say that i had 1.2 gardens to go, but that 0.2 is taking three days... haha. the 1.0 will take only a few hours once we get the beets out of there. a much smaller garden and the edges are easy and don't need to be redone or cleaned up much.

maybe i'll get pictures... someday.

any other garden news? not too much. with the start of hunting season we've had deer moving around and a few have been coming through at night now to munch on some of the clover. yesterday morning was like a war zone around here with all the guns going off.

ok, guess that is enough of my rambles for now, peace, etc. :)

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Our fall garden is doing well and the peppers that have been with us a few years are still producing. In addition the eggplants are really producing, we have as much as we need over the winter in the freezer in various dish styles and we just had a mess of fried eggplant and okra yesterday. Reckon the excess eggplant will go to the church pantry again. Miz Anne says the ladies that work that pantry grin big when they see her coming with a bunch of bags.

We're trying to eat as much as we can from the two freezers, mostly looking at the oldest bags of whatever we can find. I keep most things in plastic baskets in the big freezer but it looks like someone has been pushing other things into the baskets. Will get it all opened up and try to get everything where it is supposed to be and, this time, put labels on the baskets. Might help, maybe, sometimes.

George, making biscuits and sausage gravy for a light dinner, turning off colder nowadays and we may actually get a winter.

Reply to
George Shirley

We've had highs in the mid-to-upper 60's here (north of Baltimore) for the past week but a cold front is blowing through which will bring us down around 50 tomorrow.

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

I'm glad my Maryland raised wife didn't have us stay in Maryland. I spent two years there at Patuxent River NAS and nearly froze to death both years. The day I checked in in December of 1958 it snowed about two feet and this Texas boy had never, ever, seen snow. Then I spent two more years on destroyers in the North Atlantic, up very close to the ice pack. I liked Maryland really well from spring until fall, good fishing in the river and the bay, lots of good people and totally different food from Texas. Met lots of friendly farmers just cruising the countryside and lots of beautiful scenery.

We will probably go up there next summer to visit her siblings and they tell us St. Mary's County is now really crowded.

From what I see on the news it's a good thing you're north of Ballymore Paul.

George

Reply to
George Shirley