The smell

of freshly picked cantalope is wafting throughout my house . When I went out to check the garden early this morning , I could smell the aroma when I was still several feet away . Touched the stem and it fell off the fruit , so it's sittin' on my kitchen counter right now . I picked one the other day , but got it just a tiny bit too early and it wasn't as sweet as I like - the neighbor down the street got that one . Now if this steenkin' heat wave would break , maybe my 'maters would start setting fruit again . Hasn't been a bumper year for them , but there's still hope ! Got a few on the plants , and some are starting to ripen . Now all I gotta do is beat the bugs to them !

Reply to
Snag

Just what part of the country are you located in? You probably couldn't stand some real heat like we have in West Texas. You probably, at least get rain once in a while. Without an AC I would have died long ago. The news said it's the hottest & driest first seven months of the year since 1890.

I suspect by "maters" you mean tomatoes. The heat is what seems like the culprit that is keeping mine from producing. The beets, turnips, cabbage, kohlrabi and many others didn't have a chance this year. The egg plant look like they're starting to produce. Zucchini & green beans are doing good.

The only vegetation doing good is mesquite, and the only animal life(so called) doing good are ants. We don't need either one of those. If you stand in the wrong spot at night you find big black ants crawling on you quick. "Deep Woods Off" sprayed at the entrance of the garage keeps the ants out. Amdro just makes them dig another entrance somewhere else.

Good luck with the heat & gardening.

Reply to
Mysterious Traveler

I'm in Memphis Tennessee , and what we lack in temps we make up for with humidity . We went straight from cool and rainy to hot and dry , my lettuce never stood a chance . From what I've seen on the TeeVee news , this has been a hotter than normal summer pretty much everywhere . This is on the heels of a colder/wetter winter than normal ... My son suggested I check out the websites about magnetic polar shifts , but I think a lot of the stuff out there is the ravings of delusional fanatics . However , there might be some basis in fact for that theory- it also suggests that the numerous earthquakes we've seen in the last few years is correlated with the magnetic shift . And some pretty prestigious groups have indeed been tracking the shift . Could get to be a hairy situation if some of the predictors are right ...

Reply to
Snag

How may lopes? I have 2 hills and about 6 plants and only see 4 softball sized fruit. I've had plenty of pollinators the last month.

Zone 6 NY

Cheers

Reply to
Martin Riddle

I've got about a dozen more in various stages of growth , on 6 plants . And they're still bloomin' ...

And that one tastes as sweet as it smelled . Giant 'lope , about 10" long and over 7" in diameter . And Juicy ! I made a mess of the countertop cuttin' it up to put into a tupperware bowl for refrigerator storage . I ended up puttin some in a ziploc , my second-biggest bowl wasn't big enough . The biggest one is gonna be full of home made spaghetti sauce as soon as it cools enough .

Reply to
Snag

Magnetic polar shifts is as good a reason as any I've heard. It could be a combination of things.

Last night the news said were going to have another "La Nina" where the equatorial waters will be cooler than normal, meaning another year of above normal temperatures and less rain. Just what we need. Personally I think some of the earthquake activity is due to shifting geologic formations from draining the earth of oil and gas. By the time humans figure out what is causing all the problems it will probably be to late. That prediction of the world ending in 2012 will be proved, one way or the other, soon.

Reply to
Mysterious Traveler

I dunno if we've ruined this one , but I'm well enough prepared to fight tooth and nail to keep my family and "stuff" safe ...

Reply to
Snag

Good luck with that.

You need to find out what your fighting against, before you can fight it. Right now I'm about to fight hunger.

Reply to
Mysterious Traveler

I fought that hours ago . The battle was won with homemade spaghetti (my recipe , simmered all afternoon) and garlic bread . The battle for survival might be a bit more difficult ... and probably bloody . Example - a former neighbor was overheard saying they were going to shoot my generator (during a power outage) because it wasn't fair that I had one and they didn't . They changed their mind when I stepped around the corner and they saw my sidearm .

Reply to
Snag

Good-bye 21st Century, hello 12th.

A good book for the times

Tropic of Chaos: Climate Change and the New Geography of Violence by Christian Parenti

It's about conflict that is driven by global warming.

Reply to
Billy

That sounds good. I'm getting ready to cook pork chops, fried zucchini & steamed rice, with tossed salad and lemon cake for desert.

My neighbors have a generator so loud I can hear it from

1500 feet away, but I wouldn't consider shooting it.
Reply to
Mysterious Traveler

Global warming is only a convenient excuse for conflict, which in todays society doesn't require a logical reason.

Reply to
Mysterious Traveler

Just ask if you can put something in their freezer or plug a fan or two into their generator. We had a large generator that we used and a small portable one that two of the neighbors swapped in and out. Half day for each was enough to keep their freezers going.

Reply to
The Cook

It wasn't because it was loud , it was because "It's unfair he's got one and we don't" . Buying a genset would have cut into their drug money , which they got by selling their food stamps . There's a large population of "underpriveledged" people here - read "too lazy to work" . This same segment of the populace thinks getting an education is being an "Uncle Tom" . I'll let you fill in the blanks .

Reply to
Snag

Follow the money.

Reply to
Billy

Yup , it sure sounds like I'm a racist . But then you don't live where I do , you haven't seen what I've seen , and you haven't experienced what I've experienced . Most of the black people I know are fine upstanding citizens . Some of them aren't . Most of the White and Hispanic people I know are also fine upstanding citizens too , and some aren't . Scum is scum , no matter what color their skin is . It's just that there's a higher proportion of that behavior in a certain segment of the population here , and they use their race to perpetuate the myth of "poor mistreated us" . That same neighbor said "I hate you because you're white , I hate ALL white people." the very first time he laid eyes on me . Kinda set the tone , I'd say . Didn't matter to him that we bought his son a bicycle (while HE was in prison) because he was the only kid on the block that didn't have one , he couldn't get past race ... that same guy assaulted and tried to kill me at a later date , because I said something he didn't like . Gee , I wonder if I shoulda just turned the other cheek , so to speak . -- Snag Nah , I shoulda popped a cap on his ass .

Reply to
Snag

Hmm... I will probably regret writing this in this day and age where free speech is limited.

In many ways I agree with snag. Living in an area where where whites and blacks lived for a time next to each other. When I was a kid my neighborhood was almost all white. One mile away was the infamous eight mile road that was almost all Black. Those societies was only one mile apart and yet amazingly dramatically different. The black is race in my book is a cursed race, a very violent race.

When I was ten years old, my school took us to Belle Island, a nice park in in Detroit. Me and a friend named jack, rented a tandem bicycle. As we were riding a school bus pulled up and about six black kids a little older than Me and Jack bolted from the Bus and ran straight for us. I said to Jack, peddle! Peddle fast! I was on the back of the bike and those black hands with outstretched fingers were inches from grabbing my back. We succeeded in out running them. Never again would I be in such an area unless I was in a large group of friends.

A friend a few years later a friend had his home broken into. His dog, a german Shepard was choking and the basement window was broken out. The vet pulled a black finger out of the dogs throat.

While going to Wayne State University, a University located in Detroit was like a little oasis in the middle of a desert. The expressway was closed for repair, I took the off ramp and got lost in a black neighborhood. Several blacks noticed me and started throwing bricks and rocks at my car. Again fortunate to drive off quickly and found a main road.

Sometimes I took the bus home from the university. The bus system then was separated into inner city use only and for city to city. I always took the city to city bus and was almost always white. On two different occasions I saw a gang of blacks kill a white person as the bus drove by in Detroit. Each case the white person was alone.

When I was a kid I use to ride my bike through the northern neighborhoods without problems. One of the cities was increasingly becoming populated by blacks. When I was in my thirties a black gang started to chase me. Then I laughed and pedaled faster once again that reminded me of Belle Island.

I moved out of the city fourteen years ago just before the housing collapse and moved to the safety of the city. I still worked in the city for another thirteen years. The housing collapse allowed blacks to escape the confines of Detroit. I could hear gun fire every night. Some coworker were beaten in front of their own home. When I saw gangs of blanks walking in the middle of the street, I would drive several blocks out of my way to avoid them. When going home late from work at midnight I could see gangs with baseball bats in hand as they walked in front of my work window. They were not going to play baseball. The local cities removed all basketball nets from the parks because of blacks shooting whites for the use of the hoops. One rule was never ever look a black person in the eye. They would immediately say in a hostile tone "What are you looking at".

I have never ever been robbed or beaten by anyone white or black. I always kept an eye on my surroundings. I did not and do not like living in fear.

I know not all blacks are violent or stupid. I have met at spoke with many intelligent blacks at Wayne State University. But in my opinion they are far from the norm.

As I said in my presupposition the black race is a cursed race. For most of my life I have and still regularly take injections of testosterone stemming from a pituitary tumor that controls the sex glands. For that I have a biased belief.

High testosterone can causes one to become very strong very athletic. High levels of testosterone can cause one to become quick to anger, rage and violence. High levels of testosterone can increase ones desire for sex and an increase in promiscuity and breakups of the family unit. High levels of testosterone can cause one to become more active and more agitated to sit still, therefore one does not learn as much in a sitting environment of the class room. Am I a racist? I voted for Obama, I want a better world for my self and others including the Black race, I know I can say the phrase "African American" instead of "Black" but do not. I have nothing against the blacks, I wish them well.

Is it wrong for me to play it safe by moving to the country?

I have spoken to blacks, some think that "just by being white one is a racist". Now before anyone calls me a racist and by that definition I might be. But first, I would like someone first tell me what a racist is?

Waiting for the thrashing...

Reply to
Nad R

Ya know Billy , I'm just not going to debate this with you any more . I don't know what race you are , but from your attitude and responses I strongly suspect you're black . I've made it a policy in my life to try very very hard to judge a person by what he says , thinks , and does . When a person walks up to the fence and says what that man did to me , it kinda sets the tone for the relationship . You'll notice I haven't used any racially inflammatory names , like you did in this latest response ... BTW , every word I typed is FACT , not opinion . Enjoy your stay in my BozoBin .

Reply to
Snag

big snip

And I'm probably gonna regret stokin' the fire , but if blacks are about

11% of the population of the USA , why is it that they constitute almost HALF of the prison population ?
Reply to
Snag

You know, you could have just said your neighbor was a jerk, but no, you had to bring his race into it, and now YOU want to play the victim. I strongly suspect that you are stoopid, whatever your color may be.

Reply to
Billy